News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo Stegosaurus variant

Started by Ikessauro, January 19, 2015, 05:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

Today this has come to my attention. There seems to be a variant of the Papo Stegosaurus with slightly different paint job.
This is what mine looks like, with white markings on the plates. This photo is from Google btw. Anyway, AFAIK this is the standard original paint job.

But this version with no white, but brown spots on the plates has surfaced. Pic from ED blog.

Will this be the standard paint scheme from now on?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm not sure, I haven't seen Papo in the wild in awhile, but maybe the factory ran out of paint or the worker who was doing it just got bored?  I've seen so many variations in the Safari/Carnegie line among certain pieces I have to assume that's the case. :?

kreativtek

From what I know, Papo has changed the paint scheme on this figure. A few weeks ago I bought a Stegosaurus from Everything Dinosaur and it arrived without the brighter spots on the plates. Papo did the same thing with their Spinosaurus, which has received a subtle overhaul in series 1000+.

KeU

Quote from: kreativtek on January 19, 2015, 05:29:55 PM
From what I know, Papo has changed the paint scheme on this figure. A few weeks ago I bought a Stegosaurus from Everything Dinosaur and it arrived without the brighter spots on the plates. Papo did the same thing with their Spinosaurus, which has received a subtle overhaul in series 1000+.

Now you got me curious, so what's the difference for the Spinosaurus? Color change? Slight change in markings?

kreativtek

Markings are the same, but they are noticeably lighter on earlier models. Claws are sharper, too.

japfeif

From what I know, Papo has changed the paint scheme on this figure.

The original Stego came out in, what, 2006?....anyone know when they began to issue this repaint? All of the Stegos I've seen recently seem to have the brown plates...I wonder if the original one with the "eyespots" plates will become a scare collectible, a'la the green Standing T.rex

TJ_Terrorsaur

Mine doesn't have the white spots, in fact his plates (one the outside) are tan like his belly.

joossa

Quote from: kreativtek on January 20, 2015, 06:55:55 PM
Markings are the same, but they are noticeably lighter on earlier models. Claws are sharper, too.
Interesting you point this out (I know this post is old-ish). I went to a shop not too long ago that had a fresh shipment of Papo figures. The two spinos they had were pretty dark. So much so, that they had a blue/gray hue to them in the darker areas.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

kahhn

Just received this from the Dinosaur Farm and they told me at first they thought there was an issue with the paint at the factory because the 2015 catalog still has the original paint scheme. They said that their last three orders came that way and they were disappointed and did not make them available to purchase. I called in and i told them that i was still interested in ordering the figure it and they shipped it out. I told them that other people are having the same issue and that the paint does not match up to the standard of the other papo figures. They said as soon as they find a new picture that accurately represents what it looks like now they will put it up on their site and make it available for purchase.

kahhn

Quote from: japfeif on May 06, 2015, 02:31:02 AM

The original Stego came out in, what, 2006?....anyone know when they began to issue this repaint? All of the Stegos I've seen recently seem to have the brown plates...I wonder if the original one with the "eyespots" plates will become a scare collectible, a'la the green Standing T.rex
I think the new paint was coming out in late 2013-2014. That is what the person at the Dinosaur Farm told me when I called in to place my order.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: kahhn on August 08, 2015, 12:10:51 AM
Quote from: japfeif on May 06, 2015, 02:31:02 AM

I think the new paint was coming out in late 2013-2014. That is what the person at the Dinosaur Farm told me when I called in to place my order.

I can confirm this. I got my Stego in late 2013 and it already had the new paint.

Jetoar

I prefer the first edition  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Fluffysaurus

My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

oscars_dinos

Does any one think they will change the stock image for the stego to match version 2 in 2016???

Viking Spawn

I still need to get one of these.  I still have the dull original only.  :/

Saurox

I've got two of the greenish one and one of the dark one with white in it (the second green one was supposed to be a darker one but the sent two the same).

I just painted the second green one to a more pinky fleshy type colour.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.