News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd. Kaprosuchus

Started by smashtoad, January 10, 2016, 12:34:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smashtoad

I love Doug's sculpt of this galloping terror, but didn't care for the paint.  This is a fairly straightforward scheme, but I dig it.  I would like to darken the mouth a tick, but am currently terrified to go down that road.  Some of the black accenting is hard to shoot, but these shots are pretty good.

Kayakasaurus

Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Bucklander

I see what you mean about wanting to darken the mouth. Unfortunately, the overall darker scheme really highlights the mouth's lightness. And I understand you must feel reluctant to repaint the mouth now, in case you screw it up. For what it's worth, I think you should take courage and listen to that nagging voice. You'll never rest until you do. And even if you do make a mistake (or two) you can always paint over that. Really, you shouldn't stop until YOU are perfectly happy with it.

If you do decide to paint the mouth, good luck.

stargatedalek

Looks very nice! I love the caiman colours.

I'd recommend just taking a very small brush and dabbing a tiny bit of black paint inside the mouth, then smear it around until it's a very fine layer mottled across the surface. I find this trick works very well for darkening smoother areas of a sculpt (typically beaks) and gives a very natural look.

smashtoad

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 10, 2016, 03:13:27 AM
Looks very nice! I love the caiman colours.

I'd recommend just taking a very small brush and dabbing a tiny bit of black paint inside the mouth, then smear it around until it's a very fine layer mottled across the surface. I find this trick works very well for darkening smoother areas of a sculpt (typically beaks) and gives a very natural look.

That's essentially how I paint my whole figures.  I dont ever brush, I stipple.  Some reptiles have very bright mouth linings...so I was undecided which way to go...but I think you guys are right.  I gotta get some shade in there.

joossa

Awesome. Makes it looks so realistic!
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

smashtoad

Thanks a bunch.  I think I'm going to go one more level, and put some black scalation color on his lower sides, then cover him in a light blue wash.  Should give that realism one more notch.

Jetoar

Your customitation is really beautiful  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

smashtoad

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.