News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New to Forum

Started by Lawn Dinosaurs, May 28, 2012, 06:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawn Dinosaurs

Hi, Just registered and what to introduce myself. I'm retired and a life long Dino lover. About 7 years ago I began sculpting large dinosaurs for my yard. My website is WWW.dinosaursfoamfibergl.com . Recently I sculpted a 66" Allosaurus, made 13 molds for its various parts and just cast and built-up my first reproduction. I'm very much in the learning process and hope to gain valuable info from this site. I'm going to try and attach some pics of the kit and the unpainted build-up. Any comments will be appreciated! 

[attachment msg=10395][/attachment]

ingenia

Your website is interesting, it is nice that you have a detailed section where you describe how you make those sculptures. As I am a hobby sculptor for myself (you can see my own thread where I normally show dinosaur busts), I am always interested in knowing some techniques  other people use. How long does it take in working hours till you finish a sculpture?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hey Rich ! Glad you could make it over here ! ;D

P.S. it's me Chris ! :)

P.P.S. Great to another Allosaurus as well..our pack is growing ! ;)

I'm thinking perhaps the head is a bit too large ?

I kept thinking the hands were too small ( though correctly oriented ! ;D )  and the body was oddly proportioned..but looking again I think it's just the head really making the rest seem a bit off.   And actually after studying it..I think the head looks a bit more like a Carnotaurus than an Allo really as well.

Lawn Dinosaurs

Hi there,  My sculptures vary in the time it takes. The 15 Ft. Ceratosaurus took 440 hours. and the table top sized Cerats took about 100 hours. I may be switching from foam, Styro Spray and Apoxie Sculpt to Castelene which will give me time to get the details better and I'll be focusing on Dinos  66" or less that are still large enough to be displayed outdoors as well as inside.

Gryphoceratops

Wow very cool stuff!  I absolutely adore the big Ceratosaurus!  Very realistic!  Some of these dino parks should take a hint from you haha. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Lawn Dinosaurs on May 28, 2012, 03:37:35 PM
Hi there,  My sculptures vary in the time it takes. The 15 Ft. Ceratosaurus took 440 hours. and the table top sized Cerats took about 100 hours. I may be switching from foam, Styro Spray and Apoxie Sculpt to Castelene which will give me time to get the details better and I'll be focusing on Dinos  66" or less that are still large enough to be displayed outdoors as well as inside.

The Cerato was really excellent ! I would definitely display it in my yard..as well as any of your other pieces. :)

That would be cool. I have even less experience with castelene than I have with fiberglass..lol but it would be cool if you could do smaller 1/1 ( more affordable ? ;D ) pieces.  There are several species that fall into that category.

Lawn Dinosaurs

Chris, By swiching to castelene I'll be able to take a day off and come back and make corrections as needed, whereas apoxie sculpt I only have about 90 minutes to work with. If I have any success with selling any Allosaurus kits, then I probably will try some 1/1 scale subjects. I really want to stay in a size that is large enough for outdoor display and as best as I can figure, 66 inches is a big as I can go and still be able to ship via UPS ground a built up piece at a reasonable shipping cost.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ah, yeah I hate being rushed...it's much better if you can take some time and eyeball your work a little in stages. 

If size and shipping is the issue..and it usually is right ? heh maybe you could look into making them like some do where they come in a few pieces that are quickly assembled by sliding or locking the pieces together ? They would certainly take up less space if the head and tail were removable for shipping.

You know..with a tiny bit of work your current Allo might make a nice young specimen. When I can't do an adult specimen in 1/1 I tend to aim for sub-adults or juveniles.

I hope you don't mind me editing your post with a  pic of your Ceratosaur..I thought it would make more of an impact if everyone could see what was being talked about.  :)

Himmapaan

Welcome!  And wonderful work!

Lawn Dinosaurs

Chris,     I did a quick basic paint job on the Allosaurus. Here are some pics along with one that has my 37 "Ceratosaurus in it for comparison purposes. As you can see that extra 29" makes a big difference.

[attachment msg=10460][/attachment]

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Lawn Dinosaurs on May 28, 2012, 09:48:40 PM
Chris,     I did a quick basic paint job on the Allosaurus. Here are some pics along with one that has my 37 "Ceratosaurus in it for comparison purposes. As you can see that extra 29" makes a big difference.

Nice paint job bud ! Oh yeah ! ;D You'd be surprised how much difference a few inches can make..well maybe not you..but others..lol

It's neat overall..definitely a marked improvement over your first Allosaurus sculpt-wise I think. The head on this one still bugs me though..I think the skull is off a little. If anyone thinks so or has some additional insight feel free to post. As Rich said he would like feedback and opinions. :)

stoneage

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 29, 2012, 01:39:37 AM
Quote from: Lawn Dinosaurs on May 28, 2012, 09:48:40 PM

Nice paint job bud ! Oh yeah ! ;D You'd be surprised how much difference a few inches can make..well maybe not you..but others..lol

It's neat overall..definitely a marked improvement over your first Allosaurus sculpt-wise I think. The head on this one still bugs me though..I think the skull is off a little. If anyone thinks so or has some additional insight feel free to post. As Rich said he would like feedback and opinions. :)

I agree with you about the head, and I agree the head looks a little like a Carnatosaurus.  I still think it's an excellent figure and that Lawn Dinosaur is a great sculpter.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.