News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Toxochelys

Started by Newt, February 22, 2016, 08:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

Some progress on a painting of the Cretaceous marine turtle Toxochelys weeksi:

First, the maquette. Wire-and-foil armature, Kato Polyclay, and acrylic paint.

A few thumbnails to try out different compositions:

And finally, getting started on the canvas! I laid down some acrylic paint as an imprimatura, but the painting proper will be in oil. The canvas is gallery-wrapped and won't be framed, so I had to turn it upside down to paint the bottom edge.

More later!

Lanthanotus

Never heard about this turtle before I think, but it looks very promising. So it's gonna be a female?!

Newt

Thanks! Yes, she'll be coming up to nest on a sandy beach. This is largely because it was the best way I could figure out to feature some of the shelly fauna found with T. weeksi.

Halichoeres

Did you model the head after any particular living turtle?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

I wasn't directly looking at living turtles while sculpting it, but I was keeping Chelydra in mind, as Toxochelys' skull looks more like its than any other living turtle I know. It certainly does not have a similar skull to any living sea turtles.

The paint job is vaguely based on various kinosternids. I have an idea that, with its dorsally-situated eyes and somewhat under-sized flippers, Toxochelys was something of a benthic lurker and deserved a suitably cryptic color scheme.

Newt

Lanthanotus

A nice piece of paleo-art. I like that turtle's head and the colors of the sky/clouds.

Halichoeres

Looks good! Backlighting can be so difficult to pull off, too.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Mamasaurus

This is beautiful! I love the light, and the colors in the sunset and water  ^-^

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Kayakasaurus

Very beautiful! It almost looks like there is a silhouette of a city with lights on the shore to the left heehee.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Newt

Thanks Mama- and Kayakasaurus!

The "city" is some unfortunate glare off a dark spit of land in the distance. I took this and my mosasaur painting down to a show in Selmer, Tennessee, very near the main Coon Creek locality. I got a lot of good feedback, and a lead on a commission, so please cross your fingers for me!

Digibasherx

Awesome job Newt, and good luck with the commission.  I really like the placement of the shadows and highlights.

Newt

Thanks, Digibasherx!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.