News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Got Milk? Mesozoic Mammals

Started by stemturtle, November 17, 2013, 06:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stemturtle

Mammals that lived during the time of the dinosaurs are rarely represented as toys.
Chad mentioned Yowies and Henkelotherium in the topic Walking with Dinosaurs 3D Toys.  Examples are illustrated below.

Mesozoic mammals
Alphadon has a length of about 3 inches (7.5 cm).

Henkelotherium (Yujin),
archaic therian, order Dryolestida, late Jurassic
There is also a variation climbing a tree instead of on a plaque.

Sterophodon (Yowie, Lost Kingdoms A)
monotreme with toothed bill, early Cretaceous

Alphadon (Vivid),
primitive marsupial in WWD 3D movie, late Cretaceous

Roselaar listed two more examples, which I do not own, on the unique species thread:

Kollikodon (Yowie, Lost Kingdoms B),
a monotreme nicknamed Hotcrossbunodon, early Cretaceous.

Eomaia (Lovejoy),
early Cretaceous, approximating the ancestor of placental mammals.
Unfortunately, this model is no longer available from Michael Lovejoy.

Are there any other Mesozoic mammal figures?

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

SBell

I'm hoping it's not true, but I do believe that is it.

The Henkelotherium there is made by Yujin as part of an NHK TV series. The tree-climbers were later gashapons released by Yujin; there are at least two colour variations as well.

You'd think Castorcauda, Repenomamus or Volaticotherium would at least get some attention (to say nothing of the really early ones).

Jetoar

Nice group of mesozoic mammals  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

stemturtle

SBell, if you believe that these are all of the Mesozoic mammals, then we probably did not miss any species. I value your opinion.

Jetoar, I admire how you seem to have a kind comment for everyone.  You help make the Forum a friendly place to visit.

SBell

Quote from: stemturtle on November 19, 2013, 09:50:27 PM
SBell, if you believe that these are all of the Mesozoic mammals, then we probably did not miss any species. I value your opinion.

Jetoar, I admire how you seem to have a kind comment for everyone.  You help make the Forum a friendly place to visit.

If there are, they are probably Yowies. There is a Feves Ptilodus which is Palaeogene, bu it would stand in for any multituberculate.

There should be at least one placental, you'd think.

Halichoeres

Jetoar's Repenomamus deserves a showing in this thread:

As does the other version of Yujin's Henkelotherium:

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

It's been a long time since anything could be added to this thread:

Koreasaltipes, an ichnotaxon from the lower Cretaceous of Korea. Made by Sonokong for the Dino Mecard line.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Shonisaurus

avatar_stemturtle @stemturtle It is a pity that many species of prehistoric animals including dinosaurs are rarely represented in toy figures (PVC or vinyl) and even in resin (totally adult collection). Agree with you. The Mesozoic mammals are very poorly represented in toy figures and is not an exception unfortunately.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: SBell on November 20, 2013, 01:54:38 AM
Quote from: stemturtle on November 19, 2013, 09:50:27 PM

If there are, they are probably Yowies. There is a Feves Ptilodus which is Palaeogene, bu it would stand in for any multituberculate.

There should be at least one placental, you'd think.

I know my comment is about six years late, but in regards to Yowies they only did Steropodon and Kollikodon, unless you want to count their generic dicynodont as a mammal.

At the time Yowies were made there were only four named genera of Mesozoic Australian mammal, the other two being Bishops and Ausktribosphenos. Their fossils are held in the collections of Melbourne Museum in Victoria, while Steropodon and Kollikodon are held by the Australian Museum (in New South Wales) which developed the line and associated exhibition. Those two also had the advantage of being more memorable: Steropodon being the first Mesozoic mammal found in Australia while Kollikodon has the 'Hotcrossbunodon' nickname.

I do wish we'd gotten the other mammals though, and a few more Victorian fossils; despite the significance of Dinosaur Cove and the concurrent popularity of WWD they didn't produce a Leallynasaura or a Koolasuchus (though we got Siderops and two hypsilophodontids so it's not all bad).
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

stemturtle

A thread is enriched by member participation. Thanks to Halichoeres, Shonisaurus, and Brontozaurus for your contributions.
News of a new species is especially valuable. I ordered a Koreasaltipes (Sonokong for Dino Mecard).
When it is delivered, I will post an updated group shot, including Kollikodon (Yowie).  :)

stemturtle

Update to group shot of Mesozoic mammals

Kollikodon (Yowie, Lost Kingdom B)
Repenomamus (Paleo-Creatures)
Koreasaltipes (Sonokong, Dino Mecard)

RobinGoodfellow

stemturtle

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on April 25, 2019, 10:44:04 AM

Eomaia (1:1) by Sean Cooper: ...

avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow, thanks for illustrating Eomaia on this thread.
It's a nice addition. Wish I could afford to buy it.

Halichoeres

The Eomaia is gorgeous. That Microraptor is just too big for my shelves, though. If I could buy it by itself...

Then again, it seems like a reasonable candidate for a PNSO mini down the line.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 26, 2019, 04:06:45 PM
The Eomaia is gorgeous. That Microraptor is just too big for my shelves, though. If I could buy it by itself...

The Diorama is an Urzeitshop exclusive.
Maybe they could do a single Eomaia copy for you if requested (without Microraptor)... who knows..

Flaffy

Imagine if CollectA or Safari made a Mesozoic mammals tube...

eion129

We made a new tube and they will be finished in a short while
I am a Dinosaur Fan and my favorite is T Rex. Want to make friends with T Rex lovers.

https://luckytoy.ecrater.com/

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.