News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

More Atopodentatus fossils...

Started by Yutyrannus, May 07, 2016, 07:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Sim

Thanks for sharing this! :)

The previous interpretation was unbelievably hideous.  I'm glad it turned out to be incorrect.  The real Atopodentatus makes much more sense, but it's still very unique and I think more interesting (and much nicer-looking) than the now-outdated interpretation.

It's situations like this one that make me dislike rushing out prehistoric toys based on new discoveries.

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

It has a very similar facial structure to Nigersaurus! So I guess the original fossil's face was bent inwards then?
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

Flaffy

I was sceptical about the old Atopodentatus, and my suspicions were right.  ^-^
#AquaticNigersaurus

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: PainterRex on May 07, 2016, 02:35:33 PM
It has a very similar facial structure to Nigersaurus! So I guess the original fossil's face was bent inwards then?

It looks like maybe they just had one half of the jaws or something? Probably also distorted downward rather than outward.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

FishFossil

Still a super weird reptile, and definitely still deserves it's name. Makes you wonder how the heck the original skull got so bent out of shape!

Silvanusaurus

Evidently one cannot interpret an incomplete or distorted specimen as inherently abnormal, and the clear picture of an animal can never be accurately assumed until a complete and undistorted one is revealed. Discoveries such as this always encourage my doubts about settling on any specific reconstruction of such animals as our old friend Spinosaurus. A small difference or addition, even to a specimen that seems relatively complete, can totally change one's view of it, little can ever approach certainty in this business!

Halichoeres

I have to admit I was very fond of the original zipper-faced morphology, but it seems it was asking too much of the developmental constraints of tetrapods. Obviously still a very cool animal.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jetoar

in other words, I should change the face of my sculpture  :-\ ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Flaffy

Quote from: Jetoar on May 11, 2016, 12:57:25 AM
Would love to see the updated version! Probably in a feeding pose? :))

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Sim on May 07, 2016, 02:19:02 PM

The previous interpretation was unbelievably hideous.  I'm glad it turned out to be incorrect.  The real Atopodentatus makes much more sense, but it's still very unique and I think more interesting (and much nicer-looking) than the now-outdated interpretation.

It's situations like this one that make me dislike rushing out prehistoric toys based on new discoveries.

Wholeheartedly agreed. The old reconstruction definitely looked more like something out of a sci-fi film than a real animal, and I'm glad I wasn't the only person who was sceptical about the interpretation.

Also, it makes me think about my views on... NONONOTytoyouarenotgoingtobringYiqiintothis!  >:D
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Flaffy

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on May 12, 2016, 02:21:38 PM
Quote from: Sim on May 07, 2016, 02:19:02 PM

Wholeheartedly agreed. The old reconstruction definitely looked more like something out of a sci-fi film than a real animal, and I'm glad I wasn't the only person who was sceptical about the interpretation.
Fingers crossed on the dragon himself, Yi Qi...  :-\

Jetoar

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on May 11, 2016, 02:55:16 AM
Quote from: Jetoar on May 11, 2016, 12:57:25 AM
Would love to see the updated version! Probably in a feeding pose? :))

No exactly, change the head or put another color. However the old figure still available. Now is a historical interpretation   ;D.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.