News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Battat Stegosaurus Modification

Started by Carcharodontosaurus, May 01, 2016, 02:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carcharodontosaurus

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I was wondering if anyone can help me with correcting the number of thagomizers on the Terra Battat Stegosaurus. Has anyone here actually removed 4 spikes from the dinosaur model before? If so, (and if not), would scissors be the best bet? Or would a knife or some more high powered tool be necessary to get a clean cut?

I also wonder which spikes should be taken off. I was thinking removing the 2 pairs closest to the body of the stegosaurus and leaving  the 2 pairs closest to the end of the tail would be scientifically accurate, but if anyone has any other ideas, I would love to hear them.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Wire cutters, sharp scissors, xacto knife, box cutter, maybe even fingernail clippers?  Just watch your fingers with the box cutter and Xacto.

Not sure on which ones..would have to double check the research.

tyrantqueen

A sharp x-acto might do the trick. Remember to always cut AWAY from yourself. Maybe try heating it first to soften the plastic.

Carcharodontosaurus

Thanks for the advice on how to cut the spikes!

Does anyone have any opinions on which thagomizer pairs I should cut off?

MLMjp

Obviously the ones closer to the body. The Thagomiser is supposed to be at the end of the tail. Just look at skeletal reconstructions and paleoart.

Carcharodontosaurus

Thank you for all the help and advice!

I just wanted to get a second opinion on the thagomizers before I cut anything!

amargasaurus cazaui

Best even then to remember you are not correcting the model , you are simply altering it to the version you accept as accurate......and the evidence seems somewhat  ambigous

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Sim

Looking at the available evidence it seems to me it is most likely Stegosaurus ungulatus (the species the Battat figure represents) had 4 tail spikes.  It's classified as a species of Stegosaurus and the other valid Stegosaurus species, S. stenops, had 4 tail spikes.  Hesperosaurus mjosi seems to be closely related to Stegosaurus and it also apparently has 4 tail spikes (this species has sometimes been classified as another species of Stegosaurus).  Specimens referred to S. ungulatus have been found with 4 tail spikes.  It's just that no S. ungulatus specimens have been found with articulated sets of tail spikes, and the original S. ungulatus specimen was found with 8 tail spikes scattered away from their original positions and with no (other) extra bones.  For some, the available evidence is enough to conclude S. ungulatus had 4 tail spikes.

Regarding which spikes to remove from the Battat Stegosaurus so it has only 4 tail spikes, I think the two pairs of spikes closest to the body should be removed, as you and MLMjp mentioned.  Scott Hartman's S. stenops skeletal can be seen here: http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/ornithiscians/stegosaurus  And Greg Paul's S. stenops and S. ungulatus skeletals can be seen here: http://encyklopedia.dinozaury.com/index.php?title=Stegosaurus

I've been thinking of getting two Battat Terra Stegosaurus and removing two pairs of spikes from one and leaving the other as it is.  That way I have one the way I much prefer it (4 tail spikes) and another as the figure was produced.

If you do modify the Battat Stegosaurus to have 4 spikes and can post a photo of it, please do!  I've been wanting to see this done for a long time!

Carcharodontosaurus

Here she is! I much prefer this version of the Battat Stego, and it was super easy to do. The material is so soft that all I used was scissors and hot water to get rid of the other thagomizers. I would recommend anyone else doing the same to your Battat Stegos!

suspsy

A definite improvement, no two ways about it! I would have bought the Stegosaurus if it had been like that.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dinomike

Quote from: Carcharodontosaurus on May 09, 2016, 02:57:11 AM

Here she is! I much prefer this version of the Battat Stego, and it was super easy to do. The material is so soft that all I used was scissors and hot water to get rid of the other thagomizers. I would recommend anyone else doing the same to your Battat Stegos!

Great improvement! The Battat Stegosaurus is the only one I've never considered getting but now that they are so cheap I might consider getting it. (I wouldn't dare modifying an original one!) Thanks for sharing!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Sim

Thanks for the photos, Carcharodontosaurus!  Seeing the Battat Stegosaurus with only four tail spikes is very pleasing!

Viergacht

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.