News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Putty for diorama

Started by DinoLord, June 26, 2016, 01:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Is there any non-damaging putty I can use to attach a finished model, intended to be glued, to its base? Would prefer something less permanent than glue if I ever need to disassemble for moving, etc.

Pachyrhinosaurus

It isn't putty, but in that situation, I would drill a hole in the model's feet and pin it to the base so that it is removable with a little effort.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoLord

I've considered that but some of my models are resin so I'm hesitant to drill them. Surely there must be some sort of putty out there?

DinoLord

Bump - really hoping to avoid drilling...

stargatedalek

If the model is very small you could try sticky-tack or even double-sided tape,. Sticky-tack would probably work better but it can be, unappealing, after removal.

modelnut

Drilling is a part of resin modeling. I have drilled into every resin kit that I have ever bought. Most pieces won't stay securely glued together unless they are also pinned. Any two-footed piece cannot be trusted unless you pin it to the base. It's a just a fact of the hobby.

- Leelan

tyrantqueen

Quote from: DinoLord on June 26, 2016, 01:40:31 PM
Is there any non-damaging putty I can use to attach a finished model, intended to be glued, to its base? Would prefer something less permanent than glue if I ever need to disassemble for moving, etc.

Short answer: no.

Putty and glue shouldn't be used by themselves. They can supplement a join but under a heavy load  by themselves, they will inevitably fail. I drill and pin every model I resin kit I buy, now. I used to have a miserable time when I relied on glue alone.

DinoLord

This is for a vinyl model, so not very heavy.

Kayakasaurus

I used Hot Glue for my X plus Albertosaurus. Hot glue adheres to smooth surfaces, but also pulls away cleanly. It's definitely not a good enough adherent to replace normal glues, but if it's light enough it might work.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Doug Watson

When I worked at the museum and we were doing a display of very, very expensive gems and minerals called the Pinch Collection we used an adhesive wax to seat the specimens in carriers that we made for them. The material is called Daige BB9 Pressure Sensitive Wax. It is actually meant to be used with a Speedcote system for applying adhesive to graphics for a nonpermanent bond that will stay in place for as long as needed and can still be peeled off without damaging the wall, etc.
For the minerals and gems you would just rip a chunk off and work it with the heat of your fingers until malleable and sticky. It has a melting point of 180 fahrenheit so won't melt at room temperature.
Having said all that I can't guarantee it will stick to your materials, that you would have to test. I have found that it will stick to most materials. It should work with a light vinyl model but if you have a top heavy resin piece you may want to pin it as well. The good thing is you can pin it without glueing it and use the wax as the adhesive and if you need to you could disassemble it. You can find it at most places that sell graphic arts materials and looking online it is usually sold by the box I am not sure if you can get a single package. I actually have most of a box and if you were in the Ottawa area I would simply give you a package.
I have attached a shot of a single package.

You know if this doesn't work another option is a screw from below the base into the model. In a vinyl piece you may need to fill the area the screw is going into with epoxy if the vinyl is too thin and then drill it when the epoxy cures. After attaching it to the base with screw you could always back it out later if you needed to take it apart.