News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Hadrosaur toys

Started by Carnosaur, September 19, 2016, 01:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnosaur

Hey guys.
We all know the popular dinosaurs. They're the ones most often made into toys. T.Rex, Stegosaurus, Triceratops, etc. Hadrosaurids & Iguanodonts in general rarely get attention unless they have a distinct feature like the sail on Ouranosaurus, or the crest of Parasaurolophus. But many of these companies will churn out lots of figures of modern herbivores that filled the same basic niche like Deer, or even Zebra. I would personally love a figure of Tenontosaurus who despite being most famous for being the meal of choice for Deinonychus. is almost never represented in toy fourm because it's considered too bland and Un-interesting. So how do you make a generic looking hadrosaur interesting? you give it a beautiful paint job. when you look at large popular herbivores today its usually their markings that catch your eye right? Do the same for hadrosaurs and I'm sure they will sell.

Opinions?

DinoLord

Great point. I certainly wouldn't mind a successor to Safari's magnificent Gryposaurus.

Jose S.M.

CollectA made a Tenontosaurus, I don't think it's bad, but it's not that great either, just like their Camptosaurus (not an hadrosaur but earlier Ornithpod), another species that's well known but not represented often. I would like to see other companies making those two species, in my mind Safari would do them justice, considering that I really love their Iguanodon (not an hadrosaur again, but still Ornithopods are neglected in general), Edmontosaurus and Gryposaurus. Aand I thnik yor right about how to making hadrosaurs with no big head ornaments interesting, it's about the sculpt and colors.
Since there are rumors about some  species previously featured in the Carnegie line being made for Wild Safari line, we can hope some of those is Maisaura or Corythosaurus, or a new Parasaurolophus, even when Paras are better represented a new one for W.S wouldn't be bad.

Lanthanotus

If a company would make the animal with a paintjob as in your posted picture, I'd buy it immidiatly, no need to disguise it as giraffe, zebra or such :) In fact, that Tenontosaurus looks awesome, is it your work?

Megalosaurus

To make it more appealing by:
Nice color scheme. Vivid colors in keyspots.
Add air resoinnance sacs in species suspected to have it.
Made some muscular ones, no more shrink wrapping.
Add keratin structures over the beaks, crests, claws that likely had those.

Made them in unusual posses.

• Defending
  • Attacking (back kicking, swinging their tails, etc)
  • Rearing
  • Running
  • Dead with "Saurodamage" like detachable bits

PD.- I think this thread should be under "Dinosaur toys".

Edit: Just found an interesting pose to exemplify:

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Jose S.M.

That's a cool image,  could be a nice pose.  I would like to see rearing hadrosaurs in more accurate position,  not tail dragging. 

Carnosaur

Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 19, 2016, 05:19:53 PM
If a company would make the animal with a paintjob as in your posted picture, I'd buy it immidiatly, no need to disguise it as giraffe, zebra or such :) In fact, that Tenontosaurus looks awesome, is it your work?

Nah the Tenontosaurus art isn't mine. But it was a good example of what I'd like to see.
The modern animals in my original post are there to state my point, I'm not asking for dinosaurs with the same markings.
Just making the point that its their colors and patterns that make them eye catching. if they were all solid brown they wouldn't seem so distinct from each other.
That's true of Hadrosaurs and Iguanodonts too.

DC

I would like to see someone take the old Marx Hadrosaurus or Trachodon reformate the posture to a modern quadruped and modify bill.  A redone Timmee would be nice. 
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Derek.McManus

I suspect that a high quality model will sell well regardless of subject matter.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.