News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Posting photos??

Started by khallam, January 27, 2024, 09:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khallam

Hello,

If I want to post an image here, do I need it have it hosted online somewhere first - as the insert image option seems to suggest. If this is the case, is there an idiots guide how to do it?

TIA

Libraraptor

khallam

DinoToyForum

This is the most often asked question by people on the forum. I've been wondering if there's a simpler solution.

The forum does have an attachment option but I've disabled it because I'm worried we'd run out of space very soon, especially if people upload original high res images, which many people tend to do by default these days. The forum software functions up as a text-based discussion forum first and foremost, it just happens that our hobby is very image heavy, so most of us want to post images regularly. But we aren't set up on the back end to be an image host, not for the volume I'd expect we'd receive. In any case, the forum's attachment process isn't as streamlined as I'd like it to be: by default it attaches the images as thumbnails below the post, then to insert them into the post takes another step, it's just one click but it's easy to miss.

I've considered allowing image attachments but limiting the file size to a reasonable size for the internet, about 2000 x 2000 pixels. But then I'd get complaints from people saying they can't upload an image because it is too big.

Maybe there's an option to automatically resize the images, but even then I think the full original has to be uploaded in the first place, so it could actually take more space by duplicating the image at different sizes.

Hmmm.

triceratops83

Could you maybe just put the "Posting Images" thread on the main page somewhere? Have the guide in an obvious spot, so new members can get an idea on how to do it before they even join?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

ceratopsian

Can it be flagged in some way to new members when they join?

khallam

Quote from: DinoToyForum on January 28, 2024, 01:28:04 AMThis is the most often asked question by people on the forum. I've been wondering if there's a simpler solution.

The forum does have an attachment option but I've disabled it because I'm worried we'd run out of space very soon, especially if people upload original high res images, which many people tend to do by default these days. The forum software functions up as a text-based discussion forum first and foremost, it just happens that our hobby is very image heavy, so most of us want to post images regularly. But we aren't set up on the back end to be an image host, not for the volume I'd expect we'd receive. In any case, the forum's attachment process isn't as streamlined as I'd like it to be: by default it attaches the images as thumbnails below the post, then to insert them into the post takes another step, it's just one click but it's easy to miss.

I've considered allowing image attachments but limiting the file size to a reasonable size for the internet, about 2000 x 2000 pixels. But then I'd get complaints from people saying they can't upload an image because it is too big.

Maybe there's an option to automatically resize the images, but even then I think the full original has to be uploaded in the first place, so it could actually take more space by duplicating the image at different sizes.

Hmmm.

Sounds like a possibility to use small images - but would not need to be 2000x size. For quick forum post 1280x1024 would be fine.

Would it also be possible though if users want to post high res then there remains the option for external image hosting?

ceratopsian

I personally would find it a much slower process to reduce image size than simply to host externally.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 28, 2024, 08:42:34 AMCan it be flagged in some way to new members when they join?

Maybe. Perhaps I could set up a message at the top of the forum that only 'newbies' will see, so it doesn't distract guests or other forum members. But 'newbies' are currently classified as having 0-50 posts. 50 seems a lot to be constantly reminded how to post images. So I could change that to, say, 5-50 posts, and create a new group for 0-5 posts. 'New blood', or 'origin of the species' or something like that.  :))

Halichoeres

Is there a welcome email generated when members join? If so, could a link to the photo instructions post be included in it?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures