News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Virtual reality Rhomaleosaurus and Giraffatitan

Started by DinoToyForum, September 13, 2016, 08:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

These virtual reality prehistoric critters were released today via Google Arts and Culture in collaboration with the Natural History Museum, London, and Museum fur Naturkunde, Berlin.

https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/u/0/asset/rhomaleosaurus-back-to-life-in-virtual-reality/yAGbuLi1j6nn0w

https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/u/0/asset/brachiosaurus-giraffatitan-–-back-to-life-in-virtual-reality-english-version/TgGLC0RKKK6l9Q

Best viewed in Chrome or Firefox. You can rotate the view 360 degrees.  ;)

If you're thinking that Rhomaleosaurus looks particularly good, I helped them.

Lanthanotus

I always wonder why those prehistoric beasts grunt and bellow constantly,... well, maybe they had to make up for the lack of bird song in their environment....

... other than that, really nice animations and well done "videos". Thumbs up for your work :)

Sim

Both videos were very impressive.  I enjoyed the Rhomaleosaurus one more, it was really amazing!

I really liked how the Rhomaleosaurus looked!  It also made me think I can't say the same about a number of plesiosaur toys released in the last few years. :-\  I wish the main toy companies were making plesiosaur toys more like this Rhomaleosaurus with regards to the skin texture, instead of giving them oversized/exaggerated scales/wrinkles.

This Rhomaleosaurus also made me realise how much I'd like to have a good figure of this species!  I dislike CollectA's Rhomaleosaurus, it doesn't look right to me, and it looks like a very different animal to the one in this video.  The Safari Plesiosuchus appears to have smoother skin than the Safari Liopleurodon and Elasmosaurus.  If smoother skin is what a future Safari plesiosaur would have, I would be very interested in Safari/Doug making a Rhomaleosaurus!

Jose S.M.

I' haven't seen a video in these 3D format before! to be honest I had a lot of fun moving the screen around and got a very "childlike" excitement. Maybe I'm just easy to amaze but wow.

Sim

Quote from: Joe289 on September 14, 2016, 12:51:59 AM
I' haven't seen a video in these 3D format before! to be honest I had a lot of fun moving the screen around and got a very "childlike" excitement. Maybe I'm just easy to amaze but wow.

I hadn't seen a video in this 3D format before either, or one that that can be moved around!  I'm using Firefox but I had to switch to 2D as my computer couldn't take the 3D.  The video could still be moved around though.  The videos were amazing in any case!

Halichoeres

That's great! I also want a new and improved toy. The CollectA is....wanting.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoLord

Thanks for sharing. Though I'm a Giraffatitan-lover at heart, I did prefer the Rhomaleosaurus video. The framing and movement were more interesting - it actually moved around instead of standing almost stationary.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.