News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Truth About Tyrannosaurs - Podcast Link with David Hone

Started by Simon, May 16, 2016, 06:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

From the website:

"Why does the tyrannosaurus continue to fascinate us?

Joining Ian Sample in the studio this week is David Hone, a palaeontologist at Queen Mary University of London, and the author of The Tyrannosaur Chronicles."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/audio/2016/may/13/the-truth-of-the-tyrannosaurus-podcast

Simon

A great listen.

One thing that I did not know prior to listening to this is that Tyrannosaurus Rex had the largest eyeballs (and hence by deduction, the best eyesight) of any terrestrial animal that ever lived.  Along with the biggest olfactory nodes and super-sense of smell.

In other words, you couldn't hide from it.

antorbitalfenestrae

Quote from: Simon on May 16, 2016, 04:26:14 PM
One thing that I did not know prior to listening to this is that Tyrannosaurus Rex had the largest eyeballs (and hence by deduction, the best eyesight) of any terrestrial animal that ever lived.

Does it really work that way? I would've thought it would be more to do with the structure of the eye and the optical part of the brain rather than absolute size...

Sounds interesting though, I'll definitely go and listen to it soon

Simon

Quote from: antorbitalfenestrae on May 18, 2016, 04:54:25 AM
Quote from: Simon on May 16, 2016, 04:26:14 PM
One thing that I did not know prior to listening to this is that Tyrannosaurus Rex had the largest eyeballs (and hence by deduction, the best eyesight) of any terrestrial animal that ever lived.

Does it really work that way? I would've thought it would be more to do with the structure of the eye and the optical part of the brain rather than absolute size...

Sounds interesting though, I'll definitely go and listen to it soon

That's the point Hone was making ... I gather that eye size is definitely associated with quality of vision in living animals ... think about night animals, that have developed larger eyes so they can be more sensitive ... applying the same logic would mean that Trex probably had really, really great eye sight as well as smell ...

Halichoeres

Yeah, for example in mammals (https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/357830) eye diameter is positively associated with visual acuity. So is diurnality (nocturnal animals see better in low light, but they don't make clearer pictures, because they have more "rod" opsins than "cone" opsins). Being a predator is also a significant predictor of visual acuity. I don't know of any evidence of tyrannosaur habits, but having giant eyes and being a predator, it probably did have pretty good vision. Haven't listened to the podcast yet, though.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Viking Spawn

Uncle Rex

I finally listened to this podcast and really enjoyed it. I'll now put David Hone's book on my Xmas wish list.

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

suspsy

Quote from: Uncle Rex on November 18, 2016, 11:29:01 AM
I finally listened to this podcast and really enjoyed it. I'll now put David Hone's book on my Xmas wish list.

I have it. It's a really good read. Have to say, while I'm fine with reading scientific books, I like how this one is written in a simple, layman style (hate that term) that anyone can easily follow and understand.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.