News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dan's Dinos

Started by danmalcolm, July 28, 2016, 02:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

Nice  Figures! And the photos are not bad, if you want to look at bad pics look at mine hahaha, I suck at photography. I love the new paintjob on the CollectA Struthiomimus!

copper

Quote from: danmalcolm on July 28, 2016, 04:21:44 AM
It's a 3d printed model, so it came unpainted. I painted it (2nd attempt at painting dino models) with a giant day gecko's colour scheme in mind. I'm happy with how it turned out, but it does have a bit of a shiny texture that makes it not-quite fit in with the rest of my dinos, style-wise. If anybody has suggestions for what I could use to get more of a matte texture, that would be much appreciated. I used a can of matte varnish I got from wal-mart, but honestly it just made it shinier. 16cm long, 5cm at the hip. 1:30 scale.

Great looking model an paintwork! For the shine and sealing, I use Anti-Shine Matt Varnish by Army Painter (here's a link to the product, first site I found a picture of the spray bottle: http://www.4ground.co.uk/paints-and-primers/anti-shine-matt-varnish-spray)
It has worked perfectly for me.

danmalcolm

Quote from: Joe289 on December 02, 2016, 04:09:50 PM
Nice  Figures! And the photos are not bad, if you want to look at bad pics look at mine hahaha, I suck at photography. I love the new paintjob on the CollectA Struthiomimus!

Thanks for the kind words my friend! I don't see anything wrong with your photos at all! Neither of us are artists I guess but can still share images regardless.

danmalcolm

Thanks, Copper! I will definitely give it a try. Would it work to put a layer over my already varnished models, or is that a bad idea?

copper

Quote from: danmalcolm on December 02, 2016, 05:27:59 PM
Thanks, Copper! I will definitely give it a try. Would it work to put a layer over my already varnished models, or is that a bad idea?

I would believe it would work, you only need to spray few thin layers with the Army Painter spray to seal the paint and get rid of the shine : )

danmalcolm

Thanks a lot, I'll get my hands on some and give it a try.

Here are 3 more new ones, all repainted and all shiny, so hopefully this anti-shine varnish will work for them as well!

CollectA's Deluxe therizinosaurus. Definitely has some serious junk in the trunk but I love the sculpt. It's dynamic and believable, as well as detailed. I wasn't such a big fan of the stock paint job. This seems to be CollectA's weak point in general.

It measures 28cm long along the spine, and stands 11cm at the hip. Obviously a model of this species is going to be dubious at best when it comes to proportions, but I like the way it looks. The longest claw is 3cm long, which matches up with 1:30 scale. It's meant to be 1:40 but that would make the animal enormous. I went for a kind of "ice-beast" look, and I'm happy with how it turned out.

I also got CollectA's deluxe Spinosaurus, which had a paint job that I personally didn't find at all attractive or believable, which is a shame because the sculpt is just about as good as the stock colour scheme is bad. It's also appropriately large, which is not too common in spinosaurus toys, and dead accurate when compared to Ibrahim's 2014 reconstruction of the species. Time will tell how accurate that reconstruction truly is. Personally I think the tiny legs look a bit funny, and were probably at least a bit bigger. I won't mention the poor animal's broken hand.

I attempted to duplicate the sideshow spinosaurus' paintjob, which I don't see as any type of copyright infringement at all, the largest reason being  that it turned out looking nothing like the sideshow statue. I still like the way it looks, and I think I like this repaint best out of all of mine so far. The model measures 42cm long and 8cm tall at the hip. It's 12.5cm tall at the top of the sail, so a fully-grown individual would make it about 1:35 scale. He is a little small compared with the rest of my dinos.

And here is my last one for now, Aaron Doyle's 1:40 anzu from shapeways. Excellent sculpt, though painting was a bit tricky due to the model's size.

It is 8cm long and 4cm at the hip, which makes it closer in size to a Citipati at 1:30 scale. I may end up repainting him because either my paint application or the sheen of the varnish I used make it look a bit more unnatural than I'd hoped for. Still a fantastic model by Doyle.

Roselaar

Very nice! The Spinosaur is magnificent. :)

Uncle Rex

Thanks for sharing your collection. Love your repaints.

The Atroxious

I absolutely love your repaints of the Spinosaurus and Therizinosaurus, and the amount of detail you manage to bring forth in the relatively smooth-textured CollectA models is quite commendable, though part of me is crying on the inside because I had a very similar idea for a repaint of my own Deluxe Therizinosaurus model. I have no idea if/when I'll get around to trying out such an ambitious repaint though since I'll need to muster up the mental stamina and carve out a good chunk of time to do it, so your Theri gets to be unique for a while yet.

Fun fact: I once started a painting of an orange and black Ibrahim Spino, though I never finished it because I attempted to use gouache, which is a medium that I don't get along with very well. The pattern was a lot different than the way you painted your figure, but I find it amusing that you like the same colors on the same dinosaurs that I do.

dutchdinolover

Nice collection  :D i really like your pattern and painting style, good  job!

Lanthanotus

Your "trademark" fern seems a bit neglected lately ;)... but I nevertheless like the Parasaurolophus and Spinosaurus repaints, very good work.

copper

As everyone else, I too love the Spinosaurus!
I didn't notice the Papo Parasaurolophus until now!  Might the Lambeosaurus you mentioned be this one? That's painted by me  ;)

danmalcolm

Quote from: The Atroxious on December 03, 2016, 12:32:19 PM
I absolutely love your repaints of the Spinosaurus and Therizinosaurus, and the amount of detail you manage to bring forth in the relatively smooth-textured CollectA models is quite commendable, though part of me is crying on the inside because I had a very similar idea for a repaint of my own Deluxe Therizinosaurus model. I have no idea if/when I'll get around to trying out such an ambitious repaint though since I'll need to muster up the mental stamina and carve out a good chunk of time to do it, so your Theri gets to be unique for a while yet.

Fun fact: I once started a painting of an orange and black Ibrahim Spino, though I never finished it because I attempted to use gouache, which is a medium that I don't get along with very well. The pattern was a lot different than the way you painted your figure, but I find it amusing that you like the same colors on the same dinosaurs that I do.

Would love to see another take at the colour scheme for the theri! Let me know if and when you do it. It only took me about 6hrs total to paint that one, so not too bad. Was the better part of a Saturday afternoon. It is how I picture the animal in my mind, I'm not sure why. Same with the Spino. I'm glad I'm not the only one to imagine them like this :)

Quote from: Lanthanotus on December 04, 2016, 10:17:34 PM
Your "trademark" fern seems a bit neglected lately ;)... but I nevertheless like the Parasaurolophus and Spinosaurus repaints, very good work.

Had too bring the poor thing inside, the fireplace has dried it up quite a bit. It's still doing fine, the top is very green, and the pot it's in now is a lot higher so the leaves don't droop as low. It does require watering much more frequently and if I'm honest I'd have to say I'm not watering it as much as I should. Oh well.

Quote from: copper on December 04, 2016, 10:36:37 PM
As everyone else, I too love the Spinosaurus!
I didn't notice the Papo Parasaurolophus until now!  Might the Lambeosaurus you mentioned be this one? That's painted by me  ;)

That's it! Guess I should thank you for the inspiration! I remember seeing that Lambeo and just being floored and thinking "why couldn't I make my dinosaurs look more like that??" That was my first ever repaint. Didn't pull it off quite so elegantly as you did but I think my para is much more interesting now, so thanks a lot. Did you dream that scheme up yourself?

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.