You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pangea Map with contemporary national borders.

Started by Justin_, May 01, 2017, 03:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin_

This was is a space-filler news item today although it looks as if it has been around since 2012. A map of Pangea but with contemporary national borders (speculatively) added.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-j6ZGqXskUm8/UDem8twbzaI/AAAAAAAACfY/fs-E3_PR-N8/s1600/pangea_politik.jpg

Georassic

Ravonium

I think I've been lucky enough to see this before. Good map though.

Jose S.M.

Lanthanotus

stargatedalek

Are the water bodies period accurate? I hadn't imagined the great lakes were that old...

Lanthanotus

I do not think so.... most of the states are shown in almost unchanged shapes, but Germany for example was flooded for a big part by the Tethys for an extended time. 

Reptilia

Looks like they simply took nowadays continents and arranged them to resemble Pangea's shape. Which is an interesting idea anyway.

Halichoeres

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 01, 2017, 07:22:31 PM
Are the water bodies period accurate? I hadn't imagined the great lakes were that old...

Definitely not. There was substantially less dry land overall, so most of the continental margins would have looked different. It's just a cool way to orient the viewer to relative positions, even if much of it was seafloor.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.