News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Real or Fake fossil?

Started by Megalosaurus, May 08, 2017, 06:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

To my (admittedly amateur) eye, they look highly suspect.

Ravonium

I think this forum has had at least one discussion about a similar fossil before (I know I wasn't a member back then, but I was a lurker) and it was found that the fossil was probably fake.

To sum my thoughts on this fossil up here is a post that stargatedalek made on the similar thread I mentioned earlier.

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 09, 2017, 02:32:08 PMEither it's a fake, or someone risked their life smuggling it out of China. Make of that what you will for your odds.

DinoToyForum

You don't need expert eyes to tall that they're all fake.

Lanthanotus

They certainly look better than a good deal of pricy fossil reproductions.

SBell

That quality, for that price? Fake.

Simon

amargasaurus cazaui

Another telling issue...read through the feeback seller has...some neutrals and negatives and all revolve around the item being a....fake. Ouch
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Lanthanotus on May 08, 2017, 08:23:55 PM
They certainly look better than a good deal of pricy fossil reproductions.

Yeah, I guess they look better as in more authentic material etc., unless your standard is having bones that actually look like the bones they're supposed to be instead of little squares and rectangles... the skeletal anatomy of some of these fakes looks worse than those wooden dinosaur skeleton kits.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Pachyrhinosaurus

Yep, definitely fake. I never buy Chinese "fossils" for this reason (only exception are my jianghanicthys and even then they're iffy).
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Megalosaurus

Thank you very much.
Yes, it was so good to be true.
What a shame people do this forgeries.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Tyto_Theropod

It is indeed. My advice would be to be very suspicious of all Nothosaur fossils, especially Keichosaurus hui, unless you absolutely, utterly, totally and completely trust the dealer. And unless you know them personally and have seen them digging up fossils, it's always going to be hard to know for sure whether every single fossil they're offering is genuine. In general, I'd say to stay away from ebay as I've seen so many forgeries on there - including one seller who sold a line of resin casts that you can buy from many museum and toy dinosaur shops, overpricing them and claiming not only that they were genuine but that he'd found and prepped some of them himself. I believe that in the end someone called him out on this and he claimed that yes, of course they were replicas and both he and his buyers were well aware of this. This clearly wasn't true, and when called out again he changed his story and said he was very sorry and he didn't know they were replicas. Hmm...
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.