You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What are your rules for collecting? AKA What do you collect and why?

Started by Faelrin, November 25, 2016, 12:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empire3569

I started collecting when I was a kid, mainly with all the Jurassic Park lines (still have my old collection :) ) When I got back into it, I was naturally drawn to Papo for the nostalgia since many of their replicas were JP-inspired. I have many of the JP papos (T-rex, raptor, triceratops, stegosaurus) but many of their non-JP dinos as well (apatosaurus, my favorite Papo, baryonyx, carnotaurus).

I collect mainly in 1:35-1:40 scale, and generally like aesthetics over scientific accuracy. As such most of my collection is Papo and Rebor. Now I want to say that I would prefer to purchase a scientifically accurate model over a non-accurate one if the two were similar in detail/paint, but high quality scientifically accurate replicas are hard to come by without paying a lot of $$$ for resin kits, etc. For example, I just picked up the new Safari feathered rex because of its accuracy and high detail, and it is probably my favorite of the three rexes I own (Safari, Papo, Rebor). I find many of the paintjobs on CollectA to be gaudy and poorly done, but this is changing. And Safari, until recently, was only producing smaller scale figures (but great ones!)

I do have a few exceptions, such as: Banjo (around 1:25 scale, one of my favorite in my collection), the FavoriteCo "dueling yutyrannus" museum exclusive set (a little smaller scale, also one of my favorites), and the Safari Carcharodontosaurus (which I plan on doing a diorama with the new FavoriteCo soft model spinosaurus once it comes out)

Nebuloid

I buy anything I like, regardless of scale or species... Except for big marine reptiles, I have little to no interest in them.
Mainly new Collecta or Safari releases, if I like them, not much from Safari last year for instance.
And the occasional Rebor/Favorite/Kaiyodo purchase, all the while I keep searching for JP and Dino Riders items.

Patrx

This has been quite an interesting topic! It would seem that how we collect is very much related to why we collect - and it is fascinating to observe how we have all arrived here from different directions, so to speak.

For me, the goal has always been to build a sort of small museum. When I was a kid, dinosaur toys were pretty useless even when modern animal figures looked great (Schleich, for example), so I didn't initially notice when Safari and others started making plastic dinosaurs that were actually displayable. Around 2009, I encountered a small museum in Cañon City, Colorado - an underfunded, but fascinating museum - that used Safari figures to serve as life reconstructions along with their fossils and casts. It was so inspiring that when I got home, I set about trying to find the most accurate, museum-style version of any given dinosaur that I could afford, and I never really stopped :D

I don't really have "rules", per se, but my collecting preferences are based on that original goal. I'm always looking for the most accurate version of anything, and I usually don't mind selling off old figures that have been replaced by a more accurate or updated interpretation.

• I don't like collecting in scale. A 1/40 Psittacosaurus is too small to be appreciated properly, and a 1/12 Brontosaurus is too big and expensive!
  • I generally don't like articulation
  • I generally don't like tripods
  • I don't collect featherless coelurosaurs.

I do have separate shelves for pop-culture dinosaurs, too - mostly the Jurassic Park-style fare from Papo.

Moodyraptor

I have limited shelf space and limited funds, so my rule is I'm only allowed to buy a figure if I really really like it.  Why I really really like something varies, from nostalgia value, to quality, to character.  Sometimes I buy a figure and sell it again if I'm not as taken with it as I thought.  I am a fussy collector, and my collection is not very big, and probably not that impressive to many, but it does mean I can say every figure in there is one I really love and really wanted, for some reason or other. 

Takama

Im a compltest. so if i uy a model from a line i never collected before, i intend on buying all of the animals from that line. However, sometimes i will limit myself to ony the Dinosaurs.

Im currently collecting the Following lines

Geoworld Jurassic Hunters

Paleo-Creatures from Jetoar( 1:35 Scale dinosaurs only)

Wild Safari (Dinosaurs only)

Schelich World of History (one sculpt per animal)

Schelich Dinosaurs 2016

Battat Terra

InvictA

UKRD medium dinosaurs

JW Bashers and Biters

CollectA Prehistoric Mammals

Carnegie Collection(one sculpt per animal)

MLMjp

These are my rules/preferences:

-I collect dinosaurs, pterosaurs and marine creatures(reptiles, sharks...), basically everything inside the mesozoic period.

-I usually do not collect anything outside the mesozoic period minus some exceptions (Dimetrodon, Dunkleosteus, Megalodon, maybe a Basilosaurus...)

-I do not collect megafauna.

My figures must be in scale. My scale range is between 1:40 and 1:30. Of course there are some exceptions to this rule:

• Smaller animals: Sometimes a creature is too small to make a figure in the 1:40/1:30 range, so I have to settle with a 1:25 figure for that animal. But for the figures that are even smaller I have decided to start a non- scale collection, it will also include some of those who I already have in 1:25. Some of the figures I plan to start with are the new safari Velociraptor, Psittacosaurus, Microraptor, Archaeopteryx....etc.
  • Jurassic Park toys: For obvious reasons.
  • A statue: If I ever get one. ::)
  • Older figures that I have.
If figure is not in scale and it is not one of the exceptions then I don´t buy it.

-I collect figures from every line I can, although I have said to myself that I will only buy from certain companies if I really want that figure.

-If my figures are scientifically accurate, better. I can live with some accuracy issues, and if there is not a more accurate figure of that creature or for some reason the more accurate figure does not suit my taste. I will pick the less accurate (For example: Schleich 2008 Brachiosaurus over Carnegie 2012 Brachiosaurus, because the former is too small). And of course accuracy does not count if it is something from Jurassic Park or and old figure. But for the most part, give me the most accurate.

- I like to have one figure per genera/species. Of course this does not apply to everything. Who does not have more than one T.rex? ;) Who has bought a new figure because it looks better or is more accurate but still keeps the old one? ;) Who has bought another figure to play as another species or genera? (Two Stegos, one for S.Stenops, other for S.Ungulatus; A T.rex as a Tarbosaurus...Etc) What about others cases? Like hatchlings, corpses...

-Price: It depends, but usually I will not pay more that 50/60€ for a regular figure(The reason why I decided not to get the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus). If it has some value then I will make an effort, but I will never pay more than 100€ for anything (Except a statue, if I can ever afford one in the future). Right now I´m a college student so I cannot spend a lot in prehistoric related things since my only earns comes from my family.

postsaurischian

No rules, just emotion. Do I like, want, need a figure or not? That's the only question.
Of course my tastes are the best ;D ;D.

Derek.McManus

It's very simple I buy the figures or toys I like the look of or the ones my kids like!

Verahin

Don't have any rule or restriction in collecting, I only get what I like, as simple as it is. Or maybe, to be totally honest, my only restriction is money, as I don't buy a lot of figures per year. And because of that, I don't have particular space restrictions. I'll soon get a dedicated cabinet to weight off my bookcase from my figures, and then I guess I'll have space for several collecting years to come. If I have one goal is to collect the full Papo prehistoric line, I mean all sculpts from 2005 onwards. I don't care for repaints, I've got both T-Rex and Velociraptor version 1 and 2s, but I stopped bothering when they went rainbow.

Faelrin

Lots of interesting responses. So I have been giving this some thought lately, about how to go about my collecting. Scale is probably not something I may bother with much, as it's a bit too complex for me. On the other hand if I were to get a Tyrannosaurus, I would at least like it to be larger then my other figures, if it can be. Same goes for any sauropods if I were to get them. I'm probably going to pick up a figure of a species or genus I like, rather then one I'm not familiar with, unless it impresses me so much (as was the case with the BotM Dromaeosaurus figures). If it's not retro, or JP/JW, then I would prefer it to be as accurate as it can be, for the time it was made. Basically at the very least, just be feathered properly if it should be feathered (no missing primaries please, if there is to be wings), no pronated wrists, right number of digits, head looks right from known skulls. That kind of thing mainly.

I'm fond of articulation, but only if it's done well. This is probably due to the fact I grew up with action figures (JP, and many things non dinosaur related). It's just my comfort zone. Granted outside the JP and JW lines, Dino-Riders, and the new BotM line, it seems there are more out there without articulation, except for the jaw. With that said, I'm bound to pick up figures without articulation, if I like it enough on its own (Safari's new Feathered Tyrannosaurus, etc), but they might not form the bulk of my growing collection.

I do have an interest in non-dinosaur creatures, mostly from the Paleozoic (Anomalocaris, other Cambrian period species, early tetrapods, eurypterids, Dimetrodon, Dunkleosteus, gorgonopsids, ammonoids, etc), so I can expect picking up those at some point. I'm not too interested in marine reptiles or pterosaurs though, so I may only get a few of those (as of now my JW Mosasaurus is my only marine reptile at this point, and may be for a while yet). Of dinosaurs, I tend to like dromaeosaurs, tyrannosaurs, ceratopsians, hadrosaurs, and ankylosaurs the most. I'm not too interested in prehistoric mammals outside of the typical Pleistocene stock, so I can't see myself really collecting any, unless to display alongside any potential extant animal figures I might rarely pick up.

One thing I am also interested in as a potential collecting habit, is contemporary species (from the same formation at least). If I'm going to get a figure, I would want to be able to pair it with another figure of a different species that it may have lived alongside, preferably from the same company as well, unless its something that I think works fine as a standalone figure (Safari's Ammonite, any Dimetrodon or Dunkleosteus, etc). So I would like to have a Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops together, and then some, for example. The exception would be the JP lines, as those would be species that are contemporary in the park, in our time, in that fiction.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pawnosuchus

I don't have any hard and fast rules. At one time I was always interested in collecting any new species but that was ages ago when new types were fairly rare. Today I have become more conservative in what I buy. Basically I collect what I like and what I believe will fit in somewhat realistically in my garage diorama.(Page 4/Collections). With a few exceptions I try to adhere to a 1-40 or 1-30 scale whenever possible. I collect figures from various companies. I'm not overly fond of figures with bases but occasionally will go there. Many of the figures I get, I consider upgrades and use them to replace figures in my "world". Today I've really cut back on my purchases and probably only average 3 or 4 figures a year.

CrypticPrism

This topic is dead, but eh. It all started with the curly-tailed chinasaur baryonyx I was given at the ripe age of 3(probably like, 3 1/2). It then started to become the fact that I wanted a world in miniature I was able to interact with and play with. Yeah. I play with my figures. So what? I'm a teenager. Another fun fact is that my mom thought it was just the average "dinosaur phase" in the average child's life, usually leading to cruel remarks about dinosaurs on the mom blogs(my mom actually didn't do this, I just found a bunch of mom blogs while derping around, and got triggered.)

1. Accuracy: I want to have a world in miniature, as I said, and want each figure to be as close to life as possible; that's why I'm getting rid of my JP papos and Schleichs.

2. Detail: I love high detail, just because I want them to look asthetically pleasing and realistic. I mean, I also have slight OCD, so that's another reason, I guess.

3. Material: this is a biggie for me: I love the stuff that collectA, papo, and safari use, but generally, I won't get anything waxy(like Schleich) or hollow plastic(Chinasaurs were my friends once, but now they're my nightmares)

4. Company: Not as in I only collect favorites, collectAs, papos, and safaris, I mean, I do, but I mean I like for a figure to have some company on the shelf. This is why I'm getting all the collectA feathered Tyrannosauruses to make a family for my Safari feathered rex(he's the dad.).

There are my general rules.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

ZoPteryx

I try to collect based on scientific accuracy.  I'll occasionally keep outdated figures, but only if they're rare or hold some special place in my heart, err, shelves.  1:40 scale is preferable, but not always an option.  Occasionally I just get something because it looks cool, but those instances seem to be fewer and fewer.

Diversity, disparity, accuracy, and quality.  Those are factors I collect by.  :)

Shonisaurus

I am interested in all types of dinosaurs, although I am a fan of scientifically well-made figures. I am a paleonerd. This is how we are called. I do not fuck with any dinosaur company whose figures are not scientific as can happen with Rebor or some figures Not all eyes) of Papo.

That I do like solid plastic figures, detailed and if it can be avant-garde figures, that is to say little known and with an educational mark.

I also like collecting discontinued figures from companies in general terms and especially figures that are difficult to find. If I make a collection (for example Bullyland) I make it complete with all its economic consequences. So far for example of Bullyland I have all the figures except those of this year.

Except Schleich (successful company where there are but whose philosophy I do not share) I try to complete the whole collection in regards to figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of the company that is Favorite, Safari, Bullyland (with its imperfections), Mojo, ToyWay; Invicta, Papo, Collecta or Battat for a few examples.

That for reasons of space I do not have excessively large figures such as tyrannosaurus rex or Collecta triceratops at 1:15 scale.  :-\

GasmaskMax

I will just collect anything thats aesthetically pleasing to me personally, and ill be more likely to buy if its at least somewhat valuable and at a realistic price. Accuracy only ever bothers me in figures when a figure directly claims to be accurate and dosnt meet that standard. And yes, I do collect schleich, lots and lots of schleich. Availability mainly determines that one.

LeapingLaelaps

When it comes to collecting, this is pretty much how I decide whether or not something goes onto my wishlist:

1. Accuracy. I'm not up-to-date on how every single dinosaur should look, but I like things to be reasonably accurate. No Godzilla tyrannosaurs' or ones with three fingers, or bipedal spinosaurus aegyptiacus with short arms, etc. I'll ignore some things though, like I'll still buy non-feathered raptors (mostly because I can imagine them as something else besides a raptor haha)

2. Pose. If something has a boring pose I'm less inclined to buy it. I really enjoy defensive, running, and even walking poses. I find poses where the animal is just standing there kind of boring most of the time.

3. Company. I try to limit myself to a few popular companies, due to the fact their figures are going to be easier to find if I can't get them before they retire or if they're already retired

4. Details. I like highly detailed figures with scales, skinfolds and nice paint jobs. If I added all the toys I had as a kid to my collection it would be huge already, but I can't stand poorly made looking models with wonky paint and goofy looking features. I like my figures to look as real as possible.

5. What it is. I'm more likely to get something if it's a species that's uncommon or not made by other companies. I'll get more than one model of the same species if they're nice, but I like interesting and obscure species (especially extinct mammals, synapsids, etc). I'm also more inclined to get species I like such as pterosaurs, spinosaurids, raptors, ceratopsians, etc.

Ravonium

My rules

1. The figure must be mostly accurate.

2. If the figure has a colour-scheme or texture I feel doesn't fit the species I won't buy it.

3. I don't buy rare figures unless I really like them.

4. I prefer hard plastic to the stuff Schleich uses. I don't necessarily mind hollow plastic as I understand that it is sometimes necessary to reduce the weight of certain figures

5. I generally prefer 1:40 scale for larger dinosaurs. I won't buy anything below that scale unless I really like them.

pako

I collect only Papos, and only dinosaurs so no smilodon or mamoth...
I am a completist I guess so I have to have all the repaints.
In this way I don't spend too much by focusing on one brand, even if the whole papo collection is worth over a thousand euros...
Why Papos? Because I am a fan of JP and always been curious about dinosaurs and I agree with what I've read here quite often: they are the ones looking alive the most. Plus it is a french brand  :))

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.