You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Krentz 1/40 models: Resin kit VS Shapeways FUD details/brittleness

Started by rdsaplala, May 07, 2017, 07:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdsaplala

Hi guys,

I'm a long-time ship/tank modeler recently bitten by the "dinosaur model bug".
I've read good reviews on the work of Mr. Krentz so I plan to try out one of his 1/40 models; either the resin Majungasaurus or the FUD Ekrixinatosaurus.

I don't prefer one species over the other, but I am concerned as to which of the two media (resin or 3D-printed FUD) brings out better amount of details. Secondly, may I know which of these two media is more brittle?

I have prior experience with resin, but zero experience with 3D-printed FUD so any feed back from the more experienced dinosaur modelers here would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Aldo

Fenestra

On a 1/40 scale I would say both are okay when it comes to detail. 
Resin figures are solid. Shapeway figures are hollow. (<--- I always end up filling them with beads and/or clay for a little heft.)
This doesn't mean the Shapeway figures are more brittle though. I never had anything broken while handeling.
And I give them the same treatment as any resin figure; under the water tap and a good scrub with a tooth brush before painting.

But somehow Shapeway models keep feeling like plastic figures when I hold them in my hands,
while holding a resin model always feels like a raw gem ready to be turned into something precious.
After painting them, you really can't tell the difference anymore though.

so yeah....LOL
That is is just my opinion for whatever it's worth.  ;D

rdsaplala

Quote from: Fenestra on May 07, 2017, 10:15:19 PM
On a 1/40 scale I would say both are okay when it comes to detail. 
Resin figures are solid. Shapeway figures are hollow. (<--- I always end up filling them with beads and/or clay for a little heft.)
This doesn't mean the Shapeway figures are more brittle though. I never had anything broken while handeling.
And I give them the same treatment as any resin figure; under the water tap and a good scrub with a tooth brush before painting.

But somehow Shapeway models keep feeling like plastic figures when I hold them in my hands,
while holding a resin model always feels like a raw gem ready to be turned into something precious.
After painting them, you really can't tell the difference anymore though.

so yeah....LOL
That is is just my opinion for whatever it's worth.  ;D

Thanks for the detailed info Fenestra, I appreciate it ^-^

MIXVS MINIMAX

FUD is the best choice in case of 3d-printing. The question about the details is difficult. Handsculpted and casted models may not have the capacity in details of 3D-Models, but they don't show printing layers. This is IMO the main aspect for a serious modeler. Krentz is a master, but his handsculpted models are also of high quality. I really like the FUD-models, but as a modeler I love the handsculpted models. When I sculp dinosaurs I keep in mind, that the details, which are to small to recognize, doesn't need to be reproduced, but wrinkles must be more prominent. Furthermore the problem of 3D-models is, that they are mostly presented as CAD-screenshot, which looks very realistic, but they are not presented as built model. They do not pay attention to the scale effect that some details must be a bit overdesigned, that the human eye recognize it and the paintjob make it visible. But that may look a bit fancy as a screenshot.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.