News:

Dinosaur Toy Forum Diorama Contest 2024. Deadline for submissions is October 29th 2024. Contest details here.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Hello there.

Started by UtahraptorFan, November 21, 2017, 05:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UtahraptorFan

Hi. I was looking a while back for a dinosaur forum to join and noticed this one. I hesitated at first because it seems odd for a 30-something to collect toys. Eventually, I thought, what the heck? Why not? I mean, I still don't collect dinosaur figures, although some, such as the Safari, Ltd. Concavenator from a few years ago (with the red on the hump), look great.
Guide to whether I use suffixes in clade references:
-If it has the unaltered name of a member genus, even a nomen dubium, include it. Examples: Tyrannosaurid, Titanosaurian
-If it has the name of a genus + sauria, leave it off. Examples: Ornithomimosaur, Oviraptorosaur.
-If it's not named for a genus, leave it off. Examples: Genasaur, Gravisaur.
-Exceptions to the 3rd: Maniraptoran, Saur-/Ornithischian

ceratopsian

If it's any comfort, I am a great deal older than thirty-something. I bought my first dinosaur toy a couple of years ago and I have never regretted it for a moment. Though my husband perhaps has, in view of the increasing size of my collection, now housed in its own dedicated room!  I buy both toys and more expensive models. It's a lot of fun. And this forum is a superb way of knowing what is out there, regardless of your age.

Patrx

Welcome! Indeed, there folks here within a pretty broad range of ages.

Ravonium

Hello. Not every member here exclusively collects dinosaur toys, some collect high-end statues (although these statues are pricey). Some even make and paint their own dinosaur models.

This forum is not exclusively for collectors of dinosaur toys/models. There are boards that are dedicated to various topics that are not completely related to dinosaur toys. There are boards for discussing dinosaur groups, a board for discussing recent discoveries in paleontology, a games board and a board for general topics.

It may also be worthy to note that not all members are 30 somethings. In general, members range in age from 12 to 50-60 year olds.

UtahraptorFan

Thanks, everybody. I have come across a few Youtube channels where adults do dinosaur model reviews, as well as 1 or 2 where kids do the reviews. I subscribe to one of the former, Matthew the Dinosaur King, and have watched his review of the 2016 CollectA Lythronax several times. I wrote in the comment section, "...I think the name has a very Game of Thrones-ish feel to it."
Guide to whether I use suffixes in clade references:
-If it has the unaltered name of a member genus, even a nomen dubium, include it. Examples: Tyrannosaurid, Titanosaurian
-If it has the name of a genus + sauria, leave it off. Examples: Ornithomimosaur, Oviraptorosaur.
-If it's not named for a genus, leave it off. Examples: Genasaur, Gravisaur.
-Exceptions to the 3rd: Maniraptoran, Saur-/Ornithischian

Kaprosaurus

Hello there! Don't worry,were in the same situation here,my parents think i'm too old for getting "Dinosaur Toys" Which frustrates me because i do not really consider them toys.Anyway,welcome to the forum! Have a great time!

PigeonNZ

Welcome!

I'm pretty new too although have been reading and lurking significantly the last two weeks without posting too often. I find almost any answer to anything I need on here and loads of really interesting views on the models but also paleontology etc. It's a great forum for dinosaur interests!

I'm 31 and joined because I was starting a collection for my 2 year old daughter but my husband has made me admit I'm really falling in love with it for myself now I've started looking into everything. Such a fascinating topic!!! Not just for kids for sure :).

Halichoeres

Welcome! I'm also in my 30s and I...post here prolifically.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Libraraptor

Hello and welcome to the Forum!  There is no need to bother about what others think about an adult collecting dinosaurs.  It is much more important to feel great with what you do.  Here you will find lots of interesting,  like-minded people!

zatrex99

Welcome! Collecting dinosaurs makes you cool, mold and fungus, not so much!

Bowhead Whale

Don't feel bad because you're thirty or such! I'm FOURTY YEARS OLD and I collect toys!!!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.