You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

1/20th Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai (WIP) First attempt at a model; thoughts?

Started by ContriteLexicon, July 12, 2017, 05:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ContriteLexicon

I just recently started sculpting this year. have been working on small projects to develop some skill, but this is my first full attempt at a dinosaur model. And would like to turn it into a kit once it is done. It still needs complete detailing work and some other touch ups. I was hoping to get some feedback on what you think- any criticism welcome!
Its about 13.5inches long so I'm going to say its 1/20th scale. I did not really intend for it to have this pose. Just the way it worked out, I guess...

ZoPteryx

Looks excellent so far, and I like the pose!  :)  Look forward to seeing it detailed.

dinosaurdungeon

WarrenJB

Tré schway. Maybe a touch more bony-point definition around the elbow?

ContriteLexicon

Added some scale details; will be adding some osteoderms to give the skin more interest.
Thanks for the suggestion on the elbow! i did add some more clay to all the joints

Dinophile

Good morning.  Your Pachy looks beautiful, btw.  However you asked for suggestions, So here's a few that may help with your sculpt.  The front legs had five toes each..Only the first three toes of the front feet had hooves and on them, The other two toes did not- they did not bear weight ... so not as big as the other three . I think those too toes are considered vestigial.  It had 4 toes on the hind feet.
The shoulder could use a little more muscles definition since they supported that huge head.  Also on the hind leg would not have had such an angular "knee" it was probably much more rounded off.  The back leg would have some really large muscles on it as the main propulsion for the creature.
The head sculpt is beautiful!
As far as integumentary covering, they do have fossil impressions of it did have the scutes you are going to represent.  They are just not as well defined rosettes you think of as triceratops does... I will try to post is sample picture that Mark Whitton has added to his website.  All in all, your sculpt is gorgeous... such talent!
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

ContriteLexicon

Thanks for the suggestions! i really appreciate the help.
I did try and do the feet properly. Alas they don't look good, indeed. was trying to do five toes with two vestigial. Once dont the details on the rest of the body, I think I will cut the feet off and redo them completely.
I would be curious to see these skin impressions.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.