News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Where to find Megasaurs toys?

Started by Coelophysis, September 23, 2017, 11:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coelophysis

Does anyone know of a place you can purchase these? I've always loved this kind of chinasaur but I've never seen them for sale!

There's a few sets available on eBay but they're kind of expensive for cheap dinosaur toys.

BlueKrono

I bought the ones I wanted off of eBay. The come up with some regularity and differing prices.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

tyrantqueen

If you don't want to buy them new, try looking at eBay auctions. People often sell their old toys and they don't go for very much.

If you don't want to buy them online, I guess you could look in charity shops (I think they're called thrift stores in the States...?) or yard/jumble sales. Also check out pound shops/dollar stores.

Silvanusaurus

If you're in the UK you'll find them everywhere  :'( They are as common as flies here, even easier to find than Schleich. Especially those box sets.

X

Well that's amazing. My first ever dinosaur figure was that yellow, long shouted theropod in the box set. Mine was made of a smooth rubbery plastic and had small lumps on its skin, as well as a curly tail, though.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: PangolinWizard on September 24, 2017, 01:37:26 PM
Well that's amazing. My first ever dinosaur figure was that yellow, long shouted theropod in the box set. Mine was made of a smooth rubbery plastic and had small lumps on its skin, as well as a curly tail, though.

Funny you should say that- my earliest dinosaur toy was that T. rex type theropod in the first picture. But it was a light green.

Coelophysis

Thanks everyone! Seems like EBay is going to be my best bet. I think the KB Toys that used to be in one of the malls near here sold them, but I was far too interested in Jurassic Park toys to get them. I did have the weird little tyrannosaurid in the first image I posted; I won that at an arcade when I was seven or eight.

I'm not sure if they're under the Megasaurs brand but my local dollar stores all stock some highly cartoony dinosaurs that they have pictures of on their site. They also stock bags of cheap knock-off Marx dinosaurs which sadly replaced bags of more original neon-painted dinosaurs. Occasionally they have dinosaurs of comparable quality to those found in the Animal Planet Tubs. The latter are JA-RU products but I've seen all three types of toys sold under about a dozen different labels and companies. None of them are as interesting or nostalgic as the really ugly sort in my OP.

Ugly as they may be, the main draw to these horrible Megasaur figures is their superficial resemblance to the big hollow Imperial dinosaurs I used to get at Walmart when very very young. I'd love to have a comprehensive collection of both Imperial and Megasaurs dinosaurs.

I had a very similar looking toy that a friend gave me for my birthday. It was a sort of waxy White with a black tail tip, feet, and hands and a slightly different head. I always interpreted it as a very bad Baryonyx but in hindsight it was probably meant to be a Velociraptor since the second toe was just barely raised off the ground and seemed a little bit bigger than all the others. I'll have to post a picture of it some time. The plastic was really rubbery and has a weirdly smooth texture. It almost felt like a cheap candle.

Halichoeres

Good lord, they really are expensive on eBay. It seems as though they don't have any distribution in the US. I wonder if Everything Dinosaur could be persuaded to stock them; maybe it's worth dropping them a line.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

X

Quote from: Coelophysis on September 24, 2017, 08:24:29 PM
I had a very similar looking toy that a friend gave me for my birthday. It was a sort of waxy White with a black tail tip, feet, and hands and a slightly different head. I always interpreted it as a very bad Baryonyx but in hindsight it was probably meant to be a Velociraptor since the second toe was just barely raised off the ground and seemed a little bit bigger than all the others. I'll have to post a picture of it some time. The plastic was really rubbery and has a weirdly smooth texture. It almost felt like a cheap candle.

That's the exact one I had. I remember it being labeled "DEINONYCHUS" at the bottom, though. I believe I have a green tyrannosaurus(correctly postured) and a red pachycephalosaurus from this company, as well as a brown classic Brachiosaurus. I also remember seeing some of these bizarre creatures at Playville.

Coelophysis

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 24, 2017, 09:45:34 PM
Good lord, they really are expensive on eBay. It seems as though they don't have any distribution in the US. I wonder if Everything Dinosaur could be persuaded to stock them; maybe it's worth dropping them a line.
It couldn't hurt to try! I found a few in big lots of dinosaur toys so I might be bidding on one this evening. The lot in question also had what looks to be an Imperial Diplodocus which I've been missing since my dog chewed the head off my first one!

Quote from: PangolinWizard on September 24, 2017, 09:56:47 PM
That's the exact one I had. I remember it being labeled "DEINONYCHUS" at the bottom, though. I believe I have a green tyrannosaurus(correctly postured) and a red pachycephalosaurus from this company, as well as a brown classic Brachiosaurus. I also remember seeing some of these bizarre creatures at Playville.
Mine had no label at all besides the Imperial Crown and some sort of serial number, if I recall. I'll have to dig it out of the toy bin it's in and check.

Silvanusaurus

I dont know if its any help if you're in the US, but Amazon UK has them...

This assortment looks like it may have the ones in your first photo: https://www.amazon.co.uk/PACK-Megasaurs-Prehistoric-Dinosaurs-Assorted/dp/B00K0K0BOU/ref=sr_1_23?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1506322506&sr=1-23&keywords=megasaurs

Here is that particular box-set: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HGL-Dinosaur-Set-11-Piece/dp/B00DNXSFSK/ref=sr_1_2?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1506322715&sr=1-2&keywords=megasaurs

There are multiple box-sets of varying sizes and contents, ranging between £4.99 to around £20

Another assortment (with the Spinosaurus from your second image): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medium-Megasaurs-Dinosaur-supplied-dinosaurs/dp/B003M3ST6E/ref=sr_1_25?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1506322939&sr=1-25&keywords=megasaurs

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be specified which particular figures you'd recieve from an assortment. It appears they are also sometimes listed as HGL. The US prices seem ludicrous given how ubiquitous these are in the UK. Heck, I often think they are far too pricey for what they are over here as it is. I suppose 'one man's trash is another man's treasure', or something to that effect.

Halichoeres

Thanks for the links. At least some of those sellers won't ship to the US, but one of them will apparently. They are fairly expensive even in the UK, to my mind. Coelophysis, if you get some, please consider adding photos and mini-reviews to this thread!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Coelophysis

I'll probably end up with one of the box sets. That seems like the best value, though most of them only have two or three unique models. The rest seems to be rounded out by those generic molds you see everywhere under a thousand different labels. I'll definitely do little reviews when I get them! I've got a lot to say about just about every dinosaur toy I own, so maybe I'll just start a general review thread!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Coelophysis on September 25, 2017, 10:20:23 PM
I'll probably end up with one of the box sets. That seems like the best value, though most of them only have two or three unique models. The rest seems to be rounded out by those generic molds you see everywhere under a thousand different labels. I'll definitely do little reviews when I get them! I've got a lot to say about just about every dinosaur toy I own, so maybe I'll just start a general review thread!

Also! Some of the reviews say they got a different assortment from the picture. So caveat emptor and all that.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.