News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Figures that look like Disneyland's "Primeval World"

Started by Loon, December 24, 2018, 07:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some "look-alike" figures for the animals in the "Premival World" attraction at Disneyland.

I'm thinking of making some kind of diorama based on the scenes; but, I need to find some figures first.

Here's a video:
https://youtu.be/6y7tcDPZizc

I was thinking about making a more modern version with more accurate figures, especially given how a good amount of the "cast" is being released next year; but, I decided to go for retro-designs, as those kinds of figures would be more accurate to the attraction, and cheaper, too. I'm hoping to avoid chinasaurs, but if they're decent enough, I can work with them. Also, poses and color schemes don't have to be exact, I can fix that with some epoxy, hopefully.

Here are some pictures for reference, I'll also put some of my own suggestions for figures, but I'm sure you guys will come up with better ones.

Edaphosaurus:

I'm thinking the Bullyland figure might work:

Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus with Babies:

I was thinking of using the Carnegie Apatosaurus, but that figure's a bit too expensive for me, honestly. Though, this Bullyland figure has a nice look to it:

Pteranodons/Geosternbergia:

Triceratops with Hatchlings:

Like the sauropod babies, I'm having a hard time finding something similar, I don't really need them in the eggs, that can be sculpted. The closest thing I could find to the adults would be this Imperial Plastics figure, but the sculpt's pretty nasty:

Struthiomimus/Ornithomimus:

I'm thinking the Geoworld figure has enough of a similar appearance, though I'm hoping there's something that's a bit more "wrinkly":

Stegosaurus and Tyrannosaurus:

Thanks for the help in advance, hopefully there are decent facsimiles out there.

stargatedalek

The CollectA upcoming Edaphosaurus might also work, it's also going to be easier to obtain which is important if you want dupes.

That Apatosaurus is a tricky one to match, the adults head is very snake-like. If you're going for a similar diorama with the adult partially submerged you might get away with using the Carnegie Elasmosaurus as the adult if you tweak the mouth slightly or stuff it with plants. For the young ones it's probably worth trying to find the Carnegie babies, they shouldn't be particularly expensive.

If scale isn't important the Favorite Kinto Geosternbergia might work very well. The old Wild Safari one might work too, though it could be hard to find these days it shouldn't be very expensive.

Nothing in particular comes to mind for the Triceratops, though I will say much of their distinctive look seems to come from the legs, so if you think about it with the amount your able to repose it in mind maybe that will help. For the babies you may want to look into the older JP hatchlings, they look fairly close.

Tyco Ornithomimus is also lacking the wrinkly neck, but is similar in appearance overall.

I've got nothing for the last two, sorry.

I think I might have a few of these Carnegie's around, I'm actually not sure how many of them I sold off during the summer. I'll get back to you if you wind up with a search-list.

Loon

Thanks avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek , the elasmoaaurus might be a good fit. I've seen a few at yard sales and swap meets here and there, so I'll keep an eye out for a couple. I the suggestions for the babies are pretty good too, though, I haven't seen a baby Carnegie for too cheap.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Loon on December 24, 2018, 10:52:56 PM
Thanks avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek , the elasmoaaurus might be a good fit. I've seen a few at yard sales and swap meets here and there, so I'll keep an eye out for a couple. I the suggestions for the babies are pretty good too, though, I haven't seen a baby Carnegie for too cheap.
I have three baby Carnegie Apatos (one is damaged), and an Elasmo, and the WS and Favorite Pteras. I could do $30 on the lot, and I'll be digging around for those so I'll keep an eye out for anything else that might match.

Loon

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek thanks, let me get back to you when i get my next paycheck.

Also, I think this Carnegie Allosaurus will make for a good rex.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Loon on December 25, 2018, 12:05:42 AM
avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek thanks, let me get back to you when i get my next paycheck.

Also, I think this Carnegie Allosaurus will make for a good rex.

Sadly I sold one in yard sale last summer, it was in rough shape though.

Loon

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 25, 2018, 12:07:54 AM
Sadly I sold one in yard sale last summer, it was in rough shape though.
It's ok, they seem pretty easily available.

Erkan Urk

You could check out the old Tamiya dinosaur kits if you're not above some gluing and painting.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Erkan Urk on January 10, 2019, 01:29:59 AM
You could check out the old Tamiya dinosaur kits if you're not above some gluing and painting.
Now that's an idea. Not the diorama kits, but the old Tamiya dinosaurs, they might work quite well.

Derek.McManus

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 10, 2019, 01:49:35 AM
Quote from: Erkan Urk on January 10, 2019, 01:29:59 AM
Now that's an idea. Not the diorama kits, but the old Tamiya dinosaurs, they might work quite well.
Fairly inexpensive and readily available as well. I built the Stegosaurus with my son a few years ago.

Derek.McManus

The ride video is delightfully retro and charming sauropods eating weeds in swamps and broke back T Rex fighting a stegosaurs against a background of erupting volcanoes reminds me of the dinosaur books of my childhood.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.