News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

paintingdinos repaints and customs

Started by paintingdinos, June 27, 2017, 03:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintingdinos

Rather than make a new thread when most of my pics are already here, I'm going to try making this more of a general place to post my custom figures/WIPs.

-------------
I wanted to try something different, and since I was finally able to grab a Battat Rex from Target, decided to mess around with him.

I thought it would be interesting for him to have some stylized feathers, ruffled up a bit like a Harpy Eagle (one of the worlds biggest and most powerful eagles, so it felt like an appropriate choice).

Doing the individual feathers is extremely tedious, so admittedly I cheated and gave his back a more bland, fluffy appearance. And added some actual faux fur around the cheek (the idea seemed a lot more visually appealing than the outcome... ideally like some downy soft feathers, but final outcome makes it hard to really tell what it is).

Priming and painting come next... not yet sure what color scheme I'm going with!

Simon

Awesome and creative!  Can't wait to see the final painted up outcome of this customization!!  :D :D :D

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Daspletotyrannus

Cool idea. I can't wait to see you finish it. Remember to post updates on the work.

suspsy

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Reptilia

One thing I don't find realistic in the WS Tyrannosaurus, for instance, is the feathering on the neck, so I think that if a feathered Tyrannosaurus is still a valid option the fur-like feathering represents the best interpretation to go with. But from a strictly artistic point of view your customization si looking cool so far.

paintingdinos

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

All primed, now I just have to decide on the paint job!

(Menacing an unpainted RareBreed raptor)

ZoPteryx

This is going to look very regal when finished, can't wait!  :)

paintingdinos

Not an update on the Rex, but I didn't want to have multiple topics active at the same time so enjoy a warm-up paint of the Safari "TOOB" Liopleurodon:

Lanthanotus

I dig that "milky way" paint scheme :)

Jose S.M.

The Liopleurodon looks great like this!

paintingdinos

Well, semi bad news for this guy. For some reason the acrylic isn't wanting to stick to the primer. I did two layers of primer before I started, and handled it the same way I've handled all my repaints, but even picking the model up is rubbing the lighter paint right off. I'm not sure if its something I've done, or if whatever paint/varnish was used on the toy originally is interacting with it, but its too delicate as-is for me to want to continue working on it.

That said, I got quite a bit done, and I'm going to try and varnish it anyway and see if that helps any. If it does, I might go back in and try to touch up the sloppy bits.

Enjoy:

BlueKrono

Great detail on that Lio, especially for such a small figure. What kind of brush do you use? One hair?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

paintingdinos

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 02, 2017, 12:11:21 PM
Great detail on that Lio, especially for such a small figure. What kind of brush do you use? One hair?

Its a small brush, but not quite that small! A 3/0 testors- pretty good for fine details, but large enough to hold some paint on it.

Nanuqsaurus

Wow, it's beautiful! :)) Very nice work, keep it up!

ZoPteryx

The king is looking good!  :))  And the great color scheme on that Liopleurodon looks like something out of a Ray Troll painting.

paintingdinos

Hopefully no one minds if I repurpose this thread as my general repaints/WIP thread. Most of my stuff was here anyway.

I've been busy on several little Safari TOOB repaints. I've had a lot of fun with these:

Basilosaurus:

Dakosaurus:

(I'm not happy with the mouth on this one, may touch it up in the future)

Elasmosaurus:

(Really messing around with the water effect on this guy)

Tylosaurus:

(Yellow-bellied Sea Snake inspired)

And the little diorama I built to go along with them:

Also not really a "repaint", but a preview of the "big boy" I'm working on currently:

Based on this concept (traced from the original model image on Dan's, I make no claims, only the color is mine!):

Jose S.M.

The safari toob figures look amazing with your repaint.

Everything_Dinosaur

Rathalosaurus

Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.