News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Scanning the brain of Saturnalia

Started by Halichoeres, September 24, 2017, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

First scan of the brain endocast of the basal sauropodomorph Saturnalia. Open access!

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-11737-5
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Neosodon

So did sauropods evolve to be dumb? It seems like they would have needed to grow larger brains to control bigger bodies as they evolved passed the bipedal stance.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

CityRaptor

Probably not stupid, given how succesful they were, but yeah, they were probably not the smartest of Dinosaurs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Jose S.M.

They didnt became Dumb, they just changed their priorities  :))

CityRaptor

Yep, happened in other species including mammals, too. Bats with big testicles for example have small brains.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Neosodon

I used to hear a while back that sauropods may have had a second brain to help control their body. I'm not sure if that is still excepted. Being so large would have come with lots of problems that they would have needed to solve like sinking in mud, getting struck by lightning, navigating through forests and rough terrain and fending off faster and more agile predators. Maybe they just had really well refined instincts to deal with these things.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Reptilia

Didn't know there was a dinosaur called Saturnalia, which incidentally is the title to a new song by Marilyn Manson!

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Neosodon on September 24, 2017, 11:42:44 PM
I used to hear a while back that sauropods may have had a second brain to help control their body. I'm not sure if that is still excepted.

I've only heard it in reference to Stegosaurus, but either way, that theory hasn't been considered valid in a long time.

stargatedalek

Quote from: ZoPteryx on September 25, 2017, 04:46:46 AM
I used to hear a while back that sauropods may have had a second brain to help control their body. I'm not sure if that is still excepted.

I've only heard it in reference to Stegosaurus, but either way, that theory hasn't been considered valid in a long time.
Last I heard someone was trying to bring the idea back that it was a nerve cluster for controlling fine motor skills in the otherwise large and potentially awkward tail, but I haven't heard it brought up since so I assume even that didn't hold water.

BlueKrono

In a creature of our cerebral quantity the brain uses up a good 20% of the energy our body makes. To do without that drain would be massively beneficial when your body is so big you pretty much have to eat constantly just to keep up basic life functions.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

WarrenJB

I used to hear a while back that sauropods may have had a second brain to help control their body.

Oh, that reminds me. Off to that dragged-up misconceptions topic.

In the meantime, I'd assume a nerve cluster in that area might have something to do with boosting reflex arcs, but like SGD I haven't even heard the nerve cluster bit in a while.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.