News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Proper Shape of Andrewsarchus's Skull?

Started by Papi-Anon, September 26, 2017, 01:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papi-Anon

I'm trying to whip up a 3D printable model of Andrewsarchus's skull WITHOUT the warping from the fossilization, and so I'm kinda curious:

What's the consensus on Andy's skull shape before fossilization?

Using a very-simplified 3D mesh of a 3D scan of the holotype I have the basic contours down but I'm not sure which way the skull (particularly the fenestra) should be.

Andrewsarchus Conundrum
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

BlueKrono

It appears to be the lowered, entelodontian one, looking at the skull. What makes you think it might have warped during fossilization? And even if that were a possibility, very odd that it might have shifted to the exact shape of another creature rather than just disassociated.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Papi-Anon

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 27, 2017, 04:55:41 AM
It appears to be the lowered, entelodontian one, looking at the skull. What makes you think it might have warped during fossilization? And even if that were a possibility, very odd that it might have shifted to the exact shape of another creature rather than just disassociated.

I recall some article mentioning the warping during the fossilization process, forgot where. Maybe the holotype was deformed in life? It's not bilaterally symmetrical either way and that's not common (to my knowledge) with most tetrapods.

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."

ZoPteryx

I don't really see any warping in the images I can find...  It might be a little twisted in the snout, but nothing major as far as I can tell.

SBell

I've seen it in person, a long while ago. I think there's a bit of crushing or compression or something like that, but I don't recall any particular twists or misshapen warping. Could be wrong, as I can't find my photos now.

BlueKrono

If I ever make it to New York this is the one thing I most want to see.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

For what it's worth, it looks to me as if the light outline of the left jugal, squamosal, and maxilla is meant to convey that the right side is more faithfully preserved, which a good paleontologist should be able to tell from fracture patterns and potentially histology. To the extent that there is asymmetry, I would trust the right side.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Papi-Anon

Thanks everyone! The right is right after all, lol.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.