You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mirificus Studios Poll: Top Non-Mammalian Synapsid?

Started by ZoPteryx, October 14, 2017, 06:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which non-mammalian synapsids would you like to see added to the Mirificus Studios line of figures?  Please choose six (6).

Ophiacodon mirus (Late Carboniferous-Early Permian primitive predatory synapsid from the Northern Hemisphere)
Varanops brevirostris (Early Permian lizard-like synapsid from North America)
Eothyris parkeyi (Early Permian large-fanged lizard-like synapsid from North America)
Cotylorhynchus romeri (Mid-Permian large pot-bellied herbivorous synapsid from North America)
Edaphosaurus pogonias (Early Permian famed sail-backed herbivorous synapsid from North America)
Secodontosaurus obtusidens (Mid-Permian sail-backed "fox-faced" carnivorous synapsid from North America)
Sphenacodon ferocior (Early Permian carnivorous ridge-backed synapsid from North America)
Tetraceratops insignis (Mid-Permian lizard-like synapsid with horns and fangs from North America)
Proburnetia viatkensis (Late Permian mid-sized many-horned therapsid from Russia)
Eotitanosuchus olsoni (Mid-Permian mid-sized saber-toothed carnivorous therapsid from Russia)
Estemmenosuchus mirabilis (Mid-Permian famous elaborately ornamented dinocephalian from Russia)
Styracocephalus platyrhynchus (Late Permian bump-headed dinocephalian from South Africa)
Moschops capensis (Mid-Permian famous thick-headed dinocephalian from South Africa)
Jonkeria ingens (Late Permian hippo-like long-skulled dinocephalian from South Africa)
Anteosaurus magnificus (Late Permian huge predatory dinocephalian from South Africa)
Tiarajudens eccentricus (Late Permian saber-tusked therapsid from Brazil)
Suminia getmanovi (Late Permian small arboreal monkey-like therapsid from Russia)
Diictodon feliceps (Late Permian small tusked burrowing dicynodont from South Africa)
Aulacephalodon bainii (Permian well studied dicynodont from Africa)
Lystrosaurus maccaigi (Late Permian largest species of Lystrosaurus from South Africa)
Rubidgea atrox (Late Permian robust skulled gorgonopsid from South Africa)
Pristerognathus vanderbyli (Mid-Permian long-snouted predatory therapsid from South Africa)
Theriognathus microps (Late Permian small predatory therocephalian from Africa)
Ericiolacerta parva (Early Triassic tiny possible mammal ancestor from South Africa and Antarctica)
Thrinaxodon liorhinus (Early Triassic fox-sized burrowing cynodont from South Africa and Antarctica)
Cynognathus crateronotus (Mid-Triassic famous predatory cynodont from the Southern Hemisphere)
Trucidocynodon riograndensis (Late Triassic cursorial predatory cynodont from Brazil)
Brasilitherium riograndensis (Late Triassic rat-like cynodont from Brazil)
Kayentatherium wellesi (Early Jurassic beaver-sized tritylodont from North America)
Oligokyphus triserialis (Late Triassic - Early Jurassic arboreal weasel-like tritylodont from the Northern Hemisphere)

ZoPteryx

I hope to use this poll, and others like it, to gauge what types of creatures folks would like to see made for my (hopefully one day available) Mirificus Studios line of figures.  Keep in mind larger species will be made at 1:40 scale, and those smaller than 6 meters/20 feet in life will likely be made at larger scales (1:20, 1:6, 1:2, etc.).  If you want a species not listed here, please write your suggestion in the comments.

Have fun voting!  :D

BlueKrono

Still gonna go with Secodontosaurus every time.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

RobinGoodfellow

..from a commercial point of view, maybe it could be better to show a finished figure first and then starting a poll about what's next..
I'm not doing a critic: it's just a mere suggestion.  :)
DTF is full of kids with a never-seen-one own line of prehistoric figures...  ::)
Best Regards  :D

Neosodon

Synapsid reptiles? It wasn't long ago everyone was saying synapsids aren't reptiles. ???

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

CityRaptor

Because Synapsids aren't reptiles. They are the síster group to Sauropsids, which are "reptiles". The way they were classified as a reptilian subclass in the old system was artificial and cringe worthy. It's what happens when you try to out prehistoric animals into a classification system based entirely on extant ones.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Neosodon on October 14, 2017, 05:17:32 PM
Synapsid reptiles? It wasn't long ago everyone was saying synapsids aren't reptiles. ???
Quote from: CityRaptor on October 14, 2017, 05:55:57 PM
Because Synapsids aren't reptiles. They are the síster group to Sauropsids, which are "reptiles". The way they were classified as a reptilian subclass in the old system was artificial and cringe worthy. It's what happens when you try to out prehistoric animals into a classification system based entirely on extant ones.

Should've known better.  Fixed.  :))

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on October 14, 2017, 08:18:00 AM
..from a commercial point of view, maybe it could be better to show a finished figure first and then starting a poll about what's next..
I'm not doing a critic: it's just a mere suggestion.  :)
DTF is full of kids with a never-seen-one own line of prehistoric figures...  ::)
Best Regards  :D

Just want to make sure I'm making species people really want.  ;)  I've got a couple WIPs up in separate thread and have started on some of the top picks from the older polls.

Reptilia

I voted despite no Dimetrodon in the list. It's common, I know, but it's like the T-Rex of non-dinosaur prehistoric animals, in a way. Every line should feature a Dimetrodon!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.