You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New amniote phylogeny, focused on placement of mesosaurs

Started by Halichoeres, November 11, 2017, 09:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/feart.2017.00088/full

Interesting paper. Finds mesosaurs at the base of Sauropsida. Also finds that turtles are related to parareptiles (such as pareiasaurs), but that parareptiles are themselves close to diapsids, which would make the turtles-as-anapsids/turtles-as-diapsids dichotomy less...of a dichotomy.

As always, worth bearing in mind that a phylogenetic tree is always a hypothesis subject to refutation by new data.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ZoPteryx

Another interesting study!  Sort of expected I guess, but I'm still surprised to see turtles regrouped with parareptiles.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.