You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Neokotus, the earliest South American lizard

Started by Halichoeres, April 30, 2020, 09:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

New paper out yesterday describes Neokotus sanfranciscanus, the oldest South American record of a lizard by some 20 million years. It's from the Early Cretaceous, and whereas lizards as a whole are much older than that, the vast majority of older ones are from North America and Eurasia. The holotype includes parts of the skull as well as some vertebrae and limb elements.

Reconstruction by Jorge Blanco:

Paywalled by Nature but should be free to read here: https://www.nature.com/articles/s42003-020-0926-0.epdf?sharing_token=nRSOY15WqIRc40EB9Cfeo9RgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0NDutlEVQOJG3_4limKMjm7OeOF8i5qWJEbLzhNJbC7AJxynCd8MyBx4VTEQkjC_q_VRkHEig-Td2lH5GjJIe5M8G9Q6YWOzd8OlsTscyxXePSOZV8YAsSarPmhlb9huX8%3D
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures