News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Give the Unnamed a Name Thread!

Started by PaleoMatt, August 19, 2017, 11:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleoMatt

Hey guys! This is something fun I came up with, choose a prehistoric creature that hasn't been given a name yet and give it one! I will start with the Alaskan unidentified species of Troodon. I give it the name Boreavenator vulnedente meaning The Northern Hunter's Wounding Tooth. I gave it this name as I feel this dinosaur would have been a formidible hunter and it lived so far north also the species name vulnedente is in reference to Troodon! The name is in Latin by the way! I'm excited to see what you can all come up with!

ZoPteryx

I came up with Tyrannotaurus kenyaensis ("Kenya's Tyrant Bull") for the giant undescribed abelisaurid from Late Cretaceous Kenya.

And if body fossils for a Latest Cretaceous North American therizinosaur are found (there are footprints)in Hell Creek, I'd be in favor of calling it Ultimessor hellensis, "Hell's Final Reaper".

alexeratops

How would I even go about doing this? Do I need to know how to speak Latin? Google Translate is bringing up nonsense.

I'm trying to name that titanosaur they found in Argentina recently, if it doesn't already have a name. I want it to mean "Southern Titan of Argentina".
like a bantha!

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Quote from: alexeratops on August 25, 2017, 04:29:40 AM
How would I even go about doing this? Do I need to know how to speak Latin? Google Translate is bringing up nonsense.

I'm trying to name that titanosaur they found in Argentina recently, if it doesn't already have a name. I want it to mean "Southern Titan of Argentina".

Well, you look up greek/latin roots, but also look at a list of dinosaur name roots, and then just mix and match, being mindful of connections and gender for the words. Letters a being more feminine, and o being masculine, but that really depends. There needs to be a big book of roots and extemporaneous words to be used for names. (Hmm.....not such a bad idea)

For your case, this may work.

Titanotos argentinensis

Or Nototitanus/Nototitanis argentinensis

Noto/notos is roughly equivalent to south, or southern, because it means "south wind"
It can be seen in Notocolossus and Giganotosaurus
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

Halichoeres

Quote from: The Expeditioner's Discovery Guild (PainterRex) on August 25, 2017, 05:22:37 AM
Quote from: alexeratops on August 25, 2017, 04:29:40 AM

Well, you look up greek/latin roots, but also look at a list of dinosaur name roots, and then just mix and match, being mindful of connections and gender for the words. Letters a being more feminine, and o being masculine, but that really depends. There needs to be a big book of roots and extemporaneous words to be used for names. (Hmm.....not such a bad idea)

For your case, this may work.

Titanotos argentinensis

Or Nototitanus/Nototitanis argentinensis

Noto/notos is roughly equivalent to south, or southern, because it means "south wind"
It can be seen in Notocolossus and Giganotosaurus

There is such a book: the late Donald Borror's Dictionary of Root Words and Combining Forms (https://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Word-Roots-Combining-Forms/dp/0874840538)

While you wait for it to be shipped to your door, people might find this Wikipedia page helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_and_Greek_words_commonly_used_in_systematic_names
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

UtahraptorFan

I came up with Dracodon holtzi, (Tom) Holtz's dragon tooth. At first, I came up with it just for any random theropod discovery, but then, after I found the image of it on DeviantArt, the Oldman Formation albertosaurine. I really want to know more about that specimen! Anyway, you might correctly suspect that the genus name is inspired by Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton while I agree with George Blasing that Dr. Holtz deserves to have a theropod named in his honor, as has happened both this year1 and previously2 with another tyrannosauroid expert, Dr. Phil Currie.

1: Liaoningvenator and Albertavenator
2 Quilmesaurus, Epichirostenotes, Teratophoneus, and Philovenator
Guide to whether I use suffixes in clade references:
-If it has the unaltered name of a member genus, even a nomen dubium, include it. Examples: Tyrannosaurid, Titanosaurian
-If it has the name of a genus + sauria, leave it off. Examples: Ornithomimosaur, Oviraptorosaur.
-If it's not named for a genus, leave it off. Examples: Genasaur, Gravisaur.
-Exceptions to the 3rd: Maniraptoran, Saur-/Ornithischian

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.