News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Looking For HO scale Dinosaurs

Started by Psyckosama, June 30, 2014, 07:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psyckosama

Hey guys, I'm a miniature war gamer who does 15mm scale prehistoric gaming and I'm looking for Dinosaurs. Most 15mm miniature Dinosaurs are nice and all, but tend to be a expensive and require a lot of work. Now considering how popular they've been... for... well... pretty much ever I was wondering if there were any nice prepainted toy offerings in the approximate sale. That being between 1/100 or HO (1/87).

Though honestly anything suggestions in the general realm of that scale would be highly appreciated.

Thank you for the time.

tyrantqueen

I'm not aware of any toys, but David Krentz had some 3D prints that were in 1/144 scale. They are really accurate and nice quality to boot.

https://www.shapeways.com/designer/dkrentz?li=pb&s=12#more-products

Psyckosama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 30, 2014, 11:22:33 AM
I'm not aware of any toys, but David Krentz had some 3D prints that were in 1/144 scale. They are really accurate and nice quality to boot.

https://www.shapeways.com/designer/dkrentz?li=pb&s=12#more-products

Thanks, though sadly while I have wiggle room, those are too small by almost 50%

The Digging Dutchman

I think 1:72 is the closest you can get for the moment. you can find some of them at shapeways.
Gr,
Sander

tyrantqueen

What about Kaiyodo Dinotales models? They come in different scales depending on the species, but they're all very small in size. And they are accurate as well.

Psyckosama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 30, 2014, 03:21:38 PM
What about Kaiyodo Dinotales models? They come in different scales depending on the species, but they're all very small in size. And they are accurate as well.

Now THOSE could work. I'd need to know how long they are to be able to establish a general sense of scale as ordering blind online can lead to a lot of failure, but this seems like it might very well be perfect...

Thank you!

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

Roselaar

If Kaiyodo works for you, you might consider similar lines of small figures, though none of them come close to Kaiyodo's level of accuracy and detail. There's Tedco, PlayVision and Yowies to consider for example. Sadly, most of them are as difficultm if not more so, to obtain that Kaiyodo figures.

Psyckosama

Quote from: Roselaar on July 01, 2014, 02:14:44 PM
If Kaiyodo works for you, you might consider similar lines of small figures, though none of them come close to Kaiyodo's level of accuracy and detail. There's Tedco, PlayVision and Yowies to consider for example. Sadly, most of them are as difficultm if not more so, to obtain that Kaiyodo figures.

Thanks. I'll admit though, the difficulty is a bit of a disappointment. One of the main reasons I was hoping to find HO scale dinos is because they'd potentially be easier and less expensive to build up a larger number of dinosaurs than using resin or pewter minis.

Though I will share that I find the Sauropods from the 4d Masters prehistoric 4d Puzzles Range to scale relatively well. For example the Seismosaurus makes for a reasonable Diplodocus and the Brachiosaurus is a hair on the small size but is close enough to be shrugged off as a small individual (relatively speaking of course)

DC

I know what you mean about the cost for gaming with resin and metal.  I would take a look at a mix the Safari Toob figures the scale is mixed but some could fall into 1/72.  alo the old Sue series figures from Safari.  I think the Wild Safari or better URKD figures for sauropods and larger figures.  UKRD came in a series of sizes like russian nesting dolls.  They still show up relatively cheap in lots on ebay.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

stargatedalek

Quote from: Psyckosama on July 01, 2014, 03:24:32 AM
Now THOSE could work. I'd need to know how long they are to be able to establish a general sense of scale as ordering blind online can lead to a lot of failure, but this seems like it might very well be perfect...
they average about 4cm long, but vary slightly by individual

stoneage

The Favorite Apatosaurus and Brachiosaurus are 1/80.

MoarCrossovers

Are any of the Jurassic World or Safari and CollectA tube minis 1:72/76 scale?

Halichoeres

The Helicoprion from the Prehistoric Sharks Toob could work at that scale. The Edestus is about 1:60. The Liopleurodon from the Prehistoric Sea Life Toob might be pretty close.

For the Prehistoric Marine set from CollectA, both Archelon and Xiphactinus are around 1:85 but I think they would work for 1:72 for a smaller-than-maximum individual.

I bet the Hasbro JW Pteranodon mini is about the right size.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

damianlz

hey mate this page should have you covered for links to just about all scales. my personal favourites are archespm creations and khurasian miniatures

https://stevepugh.net/VTT/dino/15mm-dinosaurs-and-other-prehistoric-miniatures/

Shonisaurus

Other dinosaurs and prehistoric animals to scale are the PNSO dinosaurs carved by Zhao Chuang, which at the same time is one of the best paloeartists in China and the world. I recommend it. They are in sales in Amazon but if you want to save money you can buy Acro-man member of the forum.

DinoToyCollector

I hope it's alright, since I'm probably self-promoting:

P @Psyckosama
On http://dinotoycollector.com/BrowseAll.php many different figures are also arranged according to scale. I think there you can find one or the other piece with ease. My dad is a model railroad lover and I think about putting a mini Jurassic park into his landscape soon   O:-)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.