News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Mostly Complete Troodontid

Started by ZoPteryx, December 17, 2017, 07:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Almas ukhaa:  It's been a good year for new troodontid taxa, now up to 6!  The newest is a Late Cretaceous troodontid from the Djadokhta Formation known from a nearly complete skull and partial skeleton.  Despite being classified among derived troodontids, Almas is rather small in size and has a fairly short snout, features usually associated with more primitive forms from the Early Cretaceous of China.

Paper should be open access soon:
http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1206/3889.1

Ravonium

Good find as usual.

If I recall correctly, this is the 3rd new theropod described from this formation this year (and it was only described about one and a half weeks after the 2nd one). Another additional fact is that all 3 of them have been maniraptoriforme theropods.

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Ravonium on December 17, 2017, 08:14:12 AM
Good find as usual.

If I recall correctly, this is the 3rd new theropod described from this formation this year (and it was only described about one and a half weeks after the 2nd one). Another additional fact is that all 3 of them have been maniraptoriforme theropods.

Indeed.  It's really quite amazing how many theropods inhabited Late Cretaceous Mongolia.  I suspect the abundance of edge habitats, which often host large numbers of reptile and bird species today, is the main reason for their diversity.

ZoPteryx

UtahraptorFan

I found out about this last night when checking for today's Dino Checker daily dinosaur (Rubeosaurus). I saw that they had one more type added than before so I checked it out.

Everything Dinosaur has an article with a picture.
Guide to whether I use suffixes in clade references:
-If it has the unaltered name of a member genus, even a nomen dubium, include it. Examples: Tyrannosaurid, Titanosaurian
-If it has the name of a genus + sauria, leave it off. Examples: Ornithomimosaur, Oviraptorosaur.
-If it's not named for a genus, leave it off. Examples: Genasaur, Gravisaur.
-Exceptions to the 3rd: Maniraptoran, Saur-/Ornithischian

Patrx

Nice article, but that reconstruction does not suit me. How about this one by Tomozaurus?

It really does seem a lot like the earlier Chinese troodontids.

Faelrin

Okay that reconstruction on everything dinosaur is pretty poorly done considering this is for a late 2017 discovery. It is really shrinkwrapped, missing its primary feathers (and does not seem to have the right type of tail feathers), and the head just looks off. The other one posted here seems much better.

Anyways I hope this discovery sheds more light on these animals. The skull definitely seems bird like at the least.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

UtahraptorFan

After comparing the 2 restorations, I agree that Tomozaurus' version is better. I also agree that this has been quite the year (I'd consider using the word, "eventful") for Troodontidae.
Guide to whether I use suffixes in clade references:
-If it has the unaltered name of a member genus, even a nomen dubium, include it. Examples: Tyrannosaurid, Titanosaurian
-If it has the name of a genus + sauria, leave it off. Examples: Ornithomimosaur, Oviraptorosaur.
-If it's not named for a genus, leave it off. Examples: Genasaur, Gravisaur.
-Exceptions to the 3rd: Maniraptoran, Saur-/Ornithischian

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.