News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Help me decipher my toddler...'brotosaurus'? (theropod)

Started by UnconventionalDad, October 29, 2015, 03:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Excellent site. It's great that you're encouraging your son's enthusiasm and turning it into something bigger.

Dilopho

Albrotosaurus...  ;)
When I was little I thought Iguanodon was T. rex.
I also thought Deinonychus was not only called "Deinothykes" (pronounced Die-no-thee-keys) but was related to Deinosuchus. As in, I thought they were in the same family.
I remember sitting in my bed and just thinking
"Deinothykes...DeinoSUCHUS!!!"

UnconventionalDad

Quote from: DinoLord on February 17, 2016, 01:54:02 PM
Excellent site. It's great that you're encouraging your son's enthusiasm and turning it into something bigger.

Thanks a lot  :) , looking forward to them updating it themselves :)

UnconventionalDad

Quote from: Dilopho on February 17, 2016, 02:18:19 PM
Albrotosaurus...  ;)
When I was little I thought Iguanodon was T. rex.
I also thought Deinonychus was not only called "Deinothykes" (pronounced Die-no-thee-keys) but was related to Deinosuchus. As in, I thought they were in the same family.
I remember sitting in my bed and just thinking
"Deinothykes...DeinoSUCHUS!!!"

Ha ha, that's awesome, it's fun to hear kids pronounce dinosaurs 'cutely' even when you are the only one who knows that's they're saying it cutely :D  (or, as I've discovered, you've both been saying it wrong the whole time....)

allosaurusrock

Kid talk... In third grade, I have a friend who pronounced Giganotosaurus 'CHickenotosaurus.' I kept scolding her in the playground, and was very uspset.
This is my signature.

UnconventionalDad

hello folks who replied to this topic from a few years ago!!

my 'toddler' just turned five, check out what he thinks about dinosaurs now!!  (man have we gotten and played with a lot of dino toys!!!)

i just caught my now toddler grouping species, too! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfehhJvbLzo&t=4s

thanks for being there to help start our journey!! :D

Lanthanotus

You got one adorable expert there.. and he sure knows more ceratopsians right away than I do :D

Nice collection there and as a kid I would have loved that play diorama.

UnconventionalDad

thanks!  there has been a lot of playing for sure :)  the dioramas are fun...equally as fun as 25 cent plastic dinos on a pillow, but it makes for better pics :)

all those dioramas are them learning how to paint and mix colours (and aquarium plants) ...which future-proofs them from being 'just toys' :D

Neosodon

And people say young kids don't care about science. ;)

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

UnconventionalDad

Quote from: Neosodon on June 29, 2017, 01:39:38 AM
And people say young kids don't care about science. ;)

only people who don't talk to young people about science!  8)

UtahraptorFan

Quote from: UnconventionalDad on June 28, 2017, 09:13:19 PM
hello folks who replied to this topic from a few years ago!!

my 'toddler' just turned five, check out what he thinks about dinosaurs now!!  (man have we gotten and played with a lot of dino toys!!!)

i just caught my now toddler grouping species, too! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfehhJvbLzo&t=4s

thanks for being there to help start our journey!! :D
Kids grow up fast. A friend of mine has a daughter apparently not quite 2 months younger than your son (Amelia, aka "Squishy," turned 5 on 8/20) and after I finished watching the anime, "Bleach," I told her in a comment on an Instagram post a fitting quote from one character:
QuoteWhen youngsters grow up, it happens so fast that we older people never see it coming.
Guide to whether I use suffixes in clade references:
-If it has the unaltered name of a member genus, even a nomen dubium, include it. Examples: Tyrannosaurid, Titanosaurian
-If it has the name of a genus + sauria, leave it off. Examples: Ornithomimosaur, Oviraptorosaur.
-If it's not named for a genus, leave it off. Examples: Genasaur, Gravisaur.
-Exceptions to the 3rd: Maniraptoran, Saur-/Ornithischian

tyrantqueen

Good on you for homeschooling your kids. If I had children, I'd do that too. Also good on you for encouraging/nurturing your child's interests.

Fembrogon

UnconventionalDad, that website is looking wonderful. As someone who was saying "Yangchuanosaurus" and "cephalothorax" with my younger brother before either of us were 5, what you're doing here resonates with me. It's awesome how much your kids are learning and how much they're enjoying it! Keep it up! If you ever need or want some advice for good material to add on the site, I'm sure everyone here on the Forum would be glad to contribute.  ;D

Do you mind if I share these links? I know some families with kids whose interest in dinosaurs I'm currently encouraging. I bet the parents would appreciate something like this site!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.