News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Help me decipher my toddler...'brotosaurus'? (theropod)

Started by UnconventionalDad, October 29, 2015, 03:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnconventionalDad

hey folks, here's my first post!

i have a 3 year old who i now have intellectual conversations with about dinosaurs (which started with me googling the dinos and stuff he was seeing in his movies...land before time, dino dan, dinosaur train, and a few other movies)

he can list off a good 50 dinos and facts about them....and i've even asked him about dino facts before googing it!

i can't figure this one out...he's telling me of a 'brotosaurus' (rhymes with Froto saurus) and he's describing it as a theropod with two fingers on each hand like a t-rex

i can't find any such dinosaur online...what do you think he's saying?

thanks!  (funny how much i started loving dinos through his eyes, what a great family builder!!)

PaleoMatt

I'm honestly not sure but maybe send a picture of what he thinks it looks like of if you have a toy it would be greatly appreciated ;)

EarthboundEiniosaurus

I'd be very surprised if he knew about this dinosaur, seeing as it was only officially described earlier this year, but it kind of sounds like he may be talking about Chilesaurus diegosuarezi. It somewhat resembles a sauropodomorph, but it is a theropod with two fingers and it was herbivorous. Hope that helps!

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

DinoLord

The closest-sounding tyrannosaurs I can think of to that are Tarbosaurus and Gorgosaurus.

UnconventionalDad

thanks for the insight on the Chilesaurus, neat that it was just discovered recently, it's funny, because i came across that one in my search, and said 'is this it? Chilesaurus?' and he looked me and said. 'no.  brodo. saurus.'  i'm anxious to find out what he's talking about, i think i know what show he was watching, I'll update for sure :)

this is the same kid who says quetzal-co-atticus, and gigaminnosaurus :)

(reply while i was typing)

Tarbosaurus and Gorgosaurus, I hadn't asked him about those one, I'll ask him about those!

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: UnconventionalDad on October 29, 2015, 04:22:08 PM
thanks for the insight on the Chilesaurus, neat that it was just discovered recently, it's funny, because i came across that one in my search, and said 'is this it? Chilesaurus?' and he looked me and said. 'no.  brodo. saurus.'  i'm anxious to find out what he's talking about, i think i know what show he was watching, I'll update for sure :)

this is the same kid who says quetzal-co-atticus, and gigaminnosaurus :)

(reply while i was typing)

Tarbosaurus and Gorgosaurus, I hadn't asked him about those one, I'll ask him about those!

Hmmm, if it's not Chilesaurus, I'm kind of at a loss. This is quite the puzzle your son has presented :)) Do you know the supposed diet of this mystery dinosaur? That would narrow it down a lot.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."

Kayakasaurus

Well if you scramble the first part of the word it's a little like Tarbosaurus. There 
was a movie called The Dino King, or Speckles the Tarbosaurus. Tarbosaurus is basically A Tyrannosaur but found in Asia. Hope this helps  :)
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

UnconventionalDad

ha ha, thanks again, this is going to be the longest day waiting for him to get back from gramma's!

we hadn't seen that movie, so it's next on the list!!

as for diet, i asked him what he ate :)   'he's a meat eater, that's a carnivore.'

Halichoeres

I'm thinking back to when I was little, how when I said "Tyrannosaurus" it came out "Tyrannothorus." And how I tended to elide weak consonants. Weak consonants like the A in Albertosaurus, which otherwise has most of the same sounds as "Brotosaurus." So that's my hypothesis.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

UnconventionalDad

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 29, 2015, 04:42:28 PM
I'm thinking back to when I was little, how when I said "Tyrannosaurus" it came out "Tyrannothorus." And how I tended to elide weak consonants. Weak consonants like the A in Albertosaurus, which otherwise has most of the same sounds as "Brotosaurus." So that's my hypothesis.

I did a google image search.  I showed it to him.  He said' T-rex'?  i said nope.  he said ' BROTOSAURUS!!!!!'

thanks folks! we have a winner :D

DinoLord

Huh, so it was Albertosaurus. Either way, sounds like a great family bonding activity.

Halichoeres

Quote from: UnconventionalDad on October 30, 2015, 01:00:26 AM

I did a google image search.  I showed it to him.  He said' T-rex'?  i said nope.  he said ' BROTOSAURUS!!!!!'

Hooray! Good to see the mystery solved.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: UnconventionalDad on October 30, 2015, 01:00:26 AM

Hooray, the mystery is solved! I would have never come to the conclusion that it was Albertosaurus he was talking about, seeing as I have little experience with child speak :))

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

PaleoMatt

UnconventionalDad

great place you have here :)  i was telling my buddy what an active forum this place was!!  ask a question, bam!

kid speak is quite unique for sure, it's funny how i never made the connection, especially about how often i would talk about the albertasaurus when we saw it on dino dan :D

sure it's known that 'little boys love dinosaur toys' but exploring them further together is quite an experience...he's interested in every new fact, i know where to find those facts...instant family conversations where everyone has something interesting to add...it's a great impact on him over the last two months for sure! 

i found out about schleich and papo through a local book store, and discovered how much more knowledge he has with every new one!  (we had lots of dollar store dinos which he loved, and still loves equally; i began my quest for dino toys to see what other 'non famous' dinosaurs were out there :)

fascinating stuff!

PaleoMatt

I would recomend only buying quality models from now on because they are more fun and educational but of course if your son sees something he likes he would obviously ask you to buy it :D

laticauda

Congrats on getting the answer, I was stumped.  Its not just little boy's that are fascinated, my daughter is a huge fan as well.  She actually goes to bed at night with a stuffed brachiosaurus.  My kids are 4 and 3, and we have done a lot of family bonding with dinosaurs over the past two years.  As for dino toys, my kids will use the plastic (dollar store) prehistoric animals, they prefer the Safari, Shleich, Papo, and collectA toys.  I don't know if that because that's what I bought for them on birthdays and holidays, but when we stop at a shop, or look online, those are the toys they want, and more importantly, use. 

Good luck on your quest for dino toys.  :)

PaleoMatt

Quote from: laticauda on October 30, 2015, 01:53:44 PM
Congrats on getting the answer, I was stumped.  Its not just little boy's that are fascinated, my daughter is a huge fan as well.  She actually goes to bed at night with a stuffed brachiosaurus.  My kids are 4 and 3, and we have done a lot of family bonding with dinosaurs over the past two years.  As for dino toys, my kids will use the plastic (dollar store) prehistoric animals, they prefer the Safari, Shleich, Papo, and collectA toys.  I don't know if that because that's what I bought for them on birthdays and holidays, but when we stop at a shop, or look online, those are the toys they want, and more importantly, use. 

Good luck on your quest for dino toys.  :)

I agree when I was younger I would use my schleich replicasaurus spino and all all the time because they were the coolest!

Halichoeres

Duh, I said "consonants," but obviously I meant vowels. Glad that silly error didn't stand in the way.

UnconventionalDad

Hey folks!  almost 4 months later and we both know over 100 dinosaurs :D (not just their names, but things about them!)

We've collected over 20 schleich, papo, and collectA dinos, what fascinating toys! - mostly papo because they are in a local store  (his dollar store dinos still get equal use, especially his 'army guy' dinos)

I even made a website to help parents begin their dino journey :)   (originally got the idea so i wouldn't have to 're-research' around the internet for our 2nd kid's dino adventure, but quickly realized the advantages to dino knowledge beyond naming dinos)

You can make really smart kids while playing :D  http://www.dinosavvy.com

Thanks again for your help at the (very)beginning while I was trying to figure out what he was saying!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: