You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Womp-womp: azhdarchid material is not azhdarchid material

Started by Halichoeres, March 03, 2018, 09:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

In this note, the authors detail their realization that a supposed pelvis from a Campanian azhdarchid pterosaur was instead the squamosal of a tyrannosaur (part of the side of the head; in humans it's fused with the temporal). Science is like this sometimes.

Open access: http://www.facetsjournal.com/doi/10.1139/facets-2018-0006
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 04, 2018, 03:00:10 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 03, 2018, 10:20:26 PM
Oops! It happens.

My whole PhD pretty much.

:(

As you said yourself... science is like that sometimes.... but I guess noone likes to see his/her work being torn apart no matter how right that demolition is. What was you PhD about if I may ask.... some ancient would be my wild guess :)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 04, 2018, 03:47:19 PM

:(

As you said yourself... science is like that sometimes.... but I guess noone likes to see his/her work being torn apart no matter how right that demolition is. What was you PhD about if I may ask.... some ancient would be my wild guess :)

Actually, although my thesis committee was 3/5 paleontologists, my dissertation dealt very little with fossils. It was on the historical biogeography, morphological evolution, and environmental tolerances of characoid fishes. Basically I tried to identify (in consultation with the Neogene fossil record) when and how often South American characoids colonized North America once the Ishthmus of Panama had formed. It wasn't what I set out to do, but again...science is like that. :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.