News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Getting a series of 1/35 dinosaur models made/produced

Started by damianlz, September 23, 2017, 02:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damianlz

Hey all,

So I have a wargame set of rules coming out and i realllllyyy want to release a series of miniatures/dinosaur models at the 1/35 scale. I can do my own casting but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on sculptors or manufacturers that you may be impressed with?

stargatedalek

What sort of art-style and species choices are you looking for? There are a number of sculptors on here (including yours truly [shameless plug] :D ) who might be interested in doing some sculpting for you, especially if you have the means to do the casting.

damianlz

Hey stargate, thanks for the offer! In terms of style I am trying to get as accurate as I can and not have hoolywoodasaurs. I am however trying to be a little intelligent about making things as easy as I can and having good poses and possible multi use parts (eg using the same single ceratopsian body and carving differed species heads)

Id also like the figures to be partially exaggerated but in a practice way such as fine things like teeth and eyes cleanly sculpted so they can be easily painted. This needs to be considered for hobbyists and the best example I can five to nay sayers is that if the standard chain mail on a 28mm figure was scaled up it would be the size of vracelet. But that is necessary because at 28mm (1/35) if it was properly scaled it would be unpainrable fuzz.

For species, I want to start with several hello creek formation figures and I will go forward from there.

s.foulkes

Quote from: damianlz on September 24, 2017, 08:19:47 AM
Hey stargate, thanks for the offer! In terms of style I am trying to get as accurate as I can and not have hoolywoodasaurs. I am however trying to be a little intelligent about making things as easy as I can and having good poses and possible multi use parts (eg using the same single ceratopsian body and carving differed species heads)

Id also like the figures to be partially exaggerated but in a practice way such as fine things like teeth and eyes cleanly sculpted so they can be easily painted. This needs to be considered for hobbyists and the best example I can five to nay sayers is that if the standard chain mail on a 28mm figure was scaled up it would be the size of vracelet. But that is necessary because at 28mm (1/35) if it was properly scaled it would be unpainrable fuzz.

For species, I want to start with several hello creek formation figures and I will go forward from there.

Ok so just so you know a T-rex in the 1/35th size is going to be 14" long! not so miniature.
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

stargatedalek

Quote from: s.foulkes on September 24, 2017, 11:00:33 PM
Ok so just so you know a T-rex in the 1/35th size is going to be 14" long! not so miniature.
While definitely larger than most tabletop figures, it's not exactly giant. 14 inches for reference is about as long as the various mid size Kenner Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus, but an accurate version would end up being significantly more lithe because they tended to have shortened tails.

Quote from: damianlz on September 24, 2017, 08:19:47 AM

Sounds cool, if you're interested feel free to PM me a species list and some more details and I could see about throwing together a sample of some sort.

paleoferroequine

For what it's worth 28mm is not 1/35 but 1/58. 1/35 is close to 46mm.
See this page for equivalent  mm to fractional scale conversion.   http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html

damianlz

Oh no you are right!!! In my late night haste I types the wrong scale. I am actually after 1/56, closed to 28- 30mm acale.  The current games workshop carnosaur is almost 23 cm long. Rex would be just a touch smaller and like others have said most of that would be o the base or tail overhang.

Halichoeres

Quote from: paleoferroequine on September 25, 2017, 02:44:15 AM
   For what it's worth 28mm is not 1/35 but 1/58. 1/35 is close to 46mm.
See this page for equivalent  mm to fractional scale conversion.   http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html

That link was a surprisingly interesting read.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.