You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Did the Mesozoic atmosphere constrain sauropod size?

Started by Halichoeres, July 17, 2018, 07:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Spoiler: probably not. It was thought once that higher carbon concentration in the atmosphere during the Mesozoic helped make sauropods huge (and arthropods, during the even warmer Late Paleozoic). This doesn't seem to be true, but many modern plants, under high carbon conditions, have a lower nitrogen content per unit mass. This study suggests that this is less true outside of angiosperms. They grew a bunch of plants under conditions corresponding to the Jurassic and then measured carbon and nitrogen contents, using the results to estimate how much usable energy they'd get as a function of how much they ate for various possible metabolic rates. Interesting study!

Open access (at least for me): https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/pala.12385
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures