News:

Dinosaur Toy Forum Diorama Contest 2024. Deadline for submissions is October 29th 2024. Contest details here.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Surviving K-T

Started by tanystropheus, March 20, 2018, 06:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

There were multiple environmental issues that were onging far before the bolide impact that is given so much credit . One is the massive marine regression occurring which was ongoing prior to the impact, and another is the Deccan traps eruptions. Many people do not accept or realize the eruptions occurring were the result of several million years of spontaneous eruptions of a chain of active volcanoes some 100 miles long . It produced the largest , thickest remaining volcanic deposit relic left on earth and most of the area we know as India sits atop a cap of volcanic rock several miles thick that exceeds the land mass and is partially submerged. The spewing of toxic elements into the air, reduction of sunlight and raising of temps had to be disastrous and was in full swing far before anything of consequence occurred with regards to impacting agents.
   If the impact was responsible  for the demise of the dinosaurs, I feel it safe to offer that things could not have been ideal even beforehand regardless.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Lizerd

The eruptions actually aren't mentioned much, but from what I know, it was putting dinosaurs in a slump, something they likely could have recovered from. From what I know (and this needs double checking) the asteroid made the eruptions worse, a lot worse. Acid rain, clouds of dust, etc. Very likely animals near volcanoes would be dead with very few survivors. My guess is survivors that did escape the KT were in safe areas and away from geological areas.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Brocc21

I think isolated pockets of dinosaur life in places maybe less affected by the dino killing chicxulub asteroid (does it have a name I think calling it chicxulub is cool) or maybe hardier species may have survived for longer. But they couldn't have lived more that a few hundred or a maybe thousand years at most.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Lizerd on July 15, 2018, 08:58:44 PM
It would be interesting seeing how these ecosystems changed. Its also weird to think we are here because of a rock  :))

Just look at how hard a time productions like Walking with Dinosaurs had trying to find locations that even remotely looked like Mesozoic ecosystems. We like to imagine dinosaurs walking around in jungles and "ancient" looking places like the Congo and the Amazon but that type of rainforest didn't even exist on earth at all until a few million years ago, let alone 66.

If you play Saurian, they do a good job of reconstructing a late Mesozoic tropical flood plain/forest, which was a "typical" Mesozoic dinosaur habitat. It looks pretty alien.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Lizerd

Oh, I always pictured places like Acadia, Utah, and a few other places to be most prehistoric-esque. Random off topic fact: Grass only evolved in the cretaceous, something weird to thing about.
Anyways likely somehting that contributed to the ecological collapse likely was massive animals at the food-chains top, which would not last long without food.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Lizerd on August 20, 2018, 01:30:29 PM
Oh, I always pictured places like Acadia, Utah, and a few other places to be most prehistoric-esque. Random off topic fact: Grass only evolved in the cretaceous, something weird to thing about.
Anyways likely somehting that contributed to the ecological collapse likely was massive animals at the food-chains top, which would not last long without food.

Grasses were around in the Cretaceous but IIRC, the type of grass they had back then grew in isolated tufts like reeds, and wasn't widespread like modern grasses that form ground cover.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Lizerd

Cool, thanks for the info :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.