You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Wisley Gardens: Jurassic Discovery

Started by ceratopsian, August 15, 2018, 06:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

Today my husband and I made a trip to the gardens of the Royal Horticultural Society.  These are at Wisley, in Surrey, not far outside London.  I wasn't expecting any dinosaur content but realised as we arrived that they had a summer "Jurassic Discovery" programme aimed at children.  Some of the emphasis was on ancient plants - tree ferns and araucaria for instance.  But they had a few statues dotted around. 

First up, a life-size Stegosaurus

You could buy one.....

..... if you have very deep pockets!!

The others were all miniatures around 18 inches to 2 feet high I guess:

Miniature Triceratops, a mere snip at £950 plus VAT (@20%)

Miniature Stegosaurus, priced at £1500 plus VAT.

Miniature Parasaurolophus, also £1500 plus VAT!

And for the theropod-lovers, a miniature Velociraptor at "only" £950 plus VAT:

They had also mowed tridactyl theropod footprints into some of their grass to the children to their big statue, lurking in the tree fern dell ....

I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear I haven't ordered a garden statue!  Still, quite fun to look at as so unexpected.

MaastrichtianGuy

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 15, 2018, 06:57:56 PM

Miniature Triceratops, a mere snip at £950 plus VAT (@20%)
that is a Miniature Styracosaurus not a Miniature Triceratops it does not have three horns

ceratopsian

According to the sculptor, it is a miniature Triceratops.  I have the label to prove it!  It does in fact have three horns - the brow horns are tiny nubs.  I think the confusion arises from the way he's made the frill out of rods rather than a solid sheet. I think also these are not made for those who seek accuracy - the Stegosaurus is a great tail-dragger.  I doubt he consulted the best of anatomical sources before he started work!

Sorry it's a bit blurred - I hadn't taken my camera with me and I'm not good using my phone to take photos.

DinoToyForum

Thanks for sharing. The templates are surely based on those ubiquitous plywood models we're all so familiar with.

ceratopsian

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.