News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The feeding morphology of Eurynotus

Started by Halichoeres, December 12, 2018, 04:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Eurynotus crenatus is a ray-finned fish (actinopterygian) from the early Carboniferous, one of the first members of that lineage to be adapted for crushing shelled animals like crinoids and bivalves. This paper uses a bunch of CT data to reconstruct the morphology of the feeding apparatus. Cool stuff! This is part of a special issue celebrating the career of Jenny Clack (author of many many papers as well as the popular book Gaining Ground about the evolution of tetrapods).

Paper (paywall): https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/earth-and-environmental-science-transactions-of-royal-society-of-edinburgh/article/feeding-structures-in-the-rayfinned-fish-eurynotus-crenatus-actinopterygii-eurynotiformes-implications-for-trophic-diversification-among-carboniferous-actinopterygians/8C5A11E7BAD425D8A48A264C431A4141
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures