News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Allure of Vintage Dinosaur Artwork

Started by brontosauruschuck, December 26, 2018, 06:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontosauruschuck

If someone has already started a thread on this video, I couldn't find it.
https://youtu.be/IKXokoLHXQI
I feel like this says everything I have ever wanted to say about the history of dinosaurs represented in pop culture, but never found the right words.

ITdactyl

I wonder if the channel owner is a member here.  I like what he did with that video.  There were also a lot of clips and images I haven't seen before.  Thanks for sharing that vid.  Funny enough, Youtube doesn't seem to recognize my interest in dinosaur videos and keeps recommending food and DIY house repair clips.

I have to say this though, I have yet to see a production that features updated dinosaurs done in a fashion similar to those classic clips shown in the video.

acro-man

I agree with every single word he said.
The loss of mystery kills the fun in JW movies and many other sci-fi movies  :'(
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

RobinGoodfellow

As I'm not young, I totally agree with that video.
For me the "big step" into the new vision of prehistoric animals wasn't with Jurassic Park movie but with BBC Walking with Dinosaurs.
And it was not about prehistoric creatures but it was about the environment they lived in.

From my childhood I had an idea about prehistoric world like that:

Then BBC WWD changed everything with images like that:

Real animals living in a real world.
For me WWD really changed everything..

But I must admit that, in my fantasy, a prehistoric world is still like that:

;)

PhilSauria

Fabulous and very insightful video, well articulated ideas backed up with a great selection of clips (could have done with source captions though). I will be checking out the other videos on his channel - looks like a selection of pieces well worth watching.

I also agree with everything he said and ditto Robin's comments in regard to Walking with Dinosaurs, seems like we have followed a similar path to where we are now and may be close in age. I'm sure that many of us have Invicta figures sharing shelf space with the likes of Safari, Papo and CollectA. There's room for a variety of interpretations of these fascinating animals.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I agree, and while our forum is generally accepting of vintage dinosaurs, it's still nice to see appreciation for now-outdated depictions. Most of the dinosaur books my school had were from the 1980's or older so I grew up with classic-looking dinosaurs. It's interesting to think about how I had favored accuracy in the past and yet now I've gone the other way and collect mostly older models.

Also I like his point about the alien-like environments. That's something I realized when I saw photos of Disney's Dinosaur land and Universe of Energy rides with the look that they went with for their environments. It's definitely something to consider in making my own artwork.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

brontosauruschuck

After watching that I want Warner Hertzog and/or Ridley Scott to direct a dinosaur movie, since they both put a special focus on making the environment of their films feel other-worldly.

Most of you probably already know this, but I'm pretty sure a huge chunk of the music and video footage and sound clips were taken from the 1985 TV series Dinosaur! narrated by Walter Cronkite, which my wonderful wonderful mom taped when we were growing up and I watched about infinity times.

Edit: the Walter Cronkite one is from 1991. There's an unrelated TV series also named Dinosaur! from 1985.

Libraraptor

This little video fills a much needed gap.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.