News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

is AI being used in paleontology?

Started by andrewsaurus rex, May 03, 2023, 04:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

I can see a good use for AI.  It may be able to figure out most likely behaviours, most likely functions for such things as Dimetrodon's sail or the hump of Deinocheirus.   Perhaps it could even spot flaws or wrong assumptions in the reconstructions of extinct creatures.

Lynx

No. At the moment AI is very poor when it comes to info on animals, let alone paleontology. Not only does it say confidently wrong stuff half the time, but unless this AI is specifically designed for that job, it'll just spew stuff from random sites.
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

AI, in any current circumstance, can not point out what is wrong in a reconstruction when they don't have data to show what's wrong. They can not tell the future, most are at least 3 years behind.
An oversized house cat.

Stegotyranno420

While not good enough for dinosaurs, it definitely destroyed my chances of doing a Neanderthal commission for a prominent Paleoanthropology Youtuber...
I don't wish to bring politics, but I am pretty sure both sides can agree to some point that AI art and AI in general is negative for humanity.

But I will admit like A @andrewsaurus rex said, it can help in certain tasks. But it is better to rely on mankind over Machines

andrewsaurus rex

i have concerns about AI, especially in light of all the comments from the people who have been developing it.   At first,  their concerns seemed a bit far fetched to me, but after doing some reading, not at all now. 

Even a benign task like asking AI to make paperclips could, in theory, wipe out mankind.  AI can be incredibly obsessive and in its efforts to make paperclips use up all the earth's resources, enslave humans and force them to make paperclips or kill humans to use the trace metals in our bodies to make paperclips.

It may seem sci-fi, but i think the concerns are real.  But like the atomic bomb, i fear the genie is out of the bottle now.

Halichoeres

I think a more likely use for AI in paleo is automating mundane tasks like sifting through photos of microfossil gravel to find teeth or shells that are at low abundance, that sort of thing. At least in the near term.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

EmperorDinobot

We don't have to worry too much:

DinoToyForum

EmperorDinobot

dyno77

Eventually the AI art will get better and these flaws will be gone...iv watched videos of it being used for other things such as movies and fantasy settings and its way better suited to that..
Eventually when these flaws are gone it has vast potential as iv watched videos of this and its on par with movie quality concept art...
Stating  its potential as a threat or something ,reminds me of when they said the internet was a threat back when it debuted ,and that ended up ok...
AI has been around for a long time, its only recently that its been used in more things than just video-games and the military...