News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

So, There's a Pikaia Anime...

Started by Loon, December 24, 2019, 06:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

I was looking at images of the Favorite Co. Pikaia model on Google and found this:

It's an educational anime called Pikaia!(!). I have not watched the show, but from my rigorous Wikipedia-and-Google-based research, I have a vague idea of what it's about.

So, humanity's screwed up the earth and decided to colonize other planets (no, this is fiction). But, I guess space life is untenable. So, they have the idea to try to revert earth to the Cambrian period, so the environment would be better and they could live there again?

Ok.

Pretty dense lore for what's supposedly a kids show. But, wait there's more.

What I thought were weird robots are actually mech-suits that are worn by children.

And the kids(?) are friends with this Pokemon-esque Pikaia.

Some artistic liscense  was taken.

There's also a girl Pikaia.

They kiss.

And there's a girl who's mech-suit has cat ears, and I guess she becomes a bad guy.

I say that because she's standing with whom I assume to be the villains here.

Actually, maybe Anomalocaris and Louisella are the antagonists?

Or maybe Dunkleosteus?

You know, Dunkleosteus, that famous Cambrian animal.

I mean, it's weird and probably very, very silly; but, I kinda love that it exists? Like, how often do any of these animals get any representation?

In all seriousness, I think I'll check this out. This post was just to share the weird thing I found. Honestly, featuring Permian animals as the main prehistoric creatures is definitely commendable.

Faelrin

Amazing find Loon.

I particularly love that nightmare fuel Anomalocaris and Louisella making it look like those kids walked in to the wrong neighborhood. Not a style I these creatures depicted in too often. Honestly the only artwork that comes to mind is the old Yugioh cards.

Also is it just me or is that Opabinia very similar to the Favorite one, in regards to the coloration?

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Quote from: Faelrin on December 24, 2019, 10:24:29 PM
Also is it just me or is that Opabinia very similar to the Favorite one, in regards to the coloration?

From what I read, the show came out in 2015, and I believe Favorite's Permian figures came out in 2016? So, it might just be a coincidence.

Faelrin

Probably but an interesting one nonetheless Granted there's also quite (art, etc) a bit out there restoring Opabinia in a green coloration too, so possibly just more of the same with that.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ITdactyl

:o :o :o
curiosity piqued.... proceeds to spend first few hours of Christmas morning watching the first season of the anime....

...much weirdness ensues....

- They even call the *female* Dark Pikaia! (somehow the name always includes an exclamation mark)
- The Big Bad went back to the Cambrian period to plant a "time drill" powered by the Dark Pikaia so that it will trigger the 6th Great Extinction.  Big Bad then expects Dark Pikaia! to guide the remnants of humanity to a new evolution.  For a kids' anime, this is #grimdark. ;D
- The Pikaia kiss that avatar_Loon @Loon described actually starts a new evolution process - the Good guys actually altered the timeline.
- The "soldiers" in the mechsuits are the kids, and the "adults" are mere guides... typical of anime, I guess.

Heh, that was an entertaining way to kickstart Christmas.

Loon

avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl now I've gotta check this out. Where did you watch it?

ITdactyl

Whoops... 'was using a japanese VPN service (work perks)  ;D

Did a bit of searching, and I see that 'goanimelist dot me' has the first season.

Loon

Quote from: ITdactyl on December 25, 2019, 06:48:46 AM

Whoops... 'was using a japanese VPN service (work perks)  ;D

Did a bit of searching, and I see that 'goanimelist dot me' has the first season.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot this week. I'm home sick this break, so it'll give me something to do. This'll be the first time I've watched an anime since, maybe 8th grade?

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I've been meaning to watch this myself, at some point!

Kotori_Sonoda

A friend recommended this to me a while back and I really meant to get to it at one point!
Its rare to see these creatures in an anime so that's really cool.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.

Jurassic Park toys collector

Viergacht

Megalosaurus

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.