You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaurs were probably not in decline before K-Pg

Started by Halichoeres, March 10, 2019, 01:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

At least in North America! This paper uses ecological niche modeling to estimate the habitats available to several dinosaur lineages. That means they estimated the environmental variables in places where Campanian and Maastrichtian dinosaurs were found, and then modeled where on the continent those same conditions might have prevailed, even if those areas wouldn't have been conducive to fossilization. They find no evidence of a decline in habitat, and suggest that any apparent decline is probably due to just having fewer available outcrops from the Maastrichtian.

This figure shows apparent habitable area based on known fossil-bearing outcrops, versus habitable area on the whole continent. Habitable area increases over time, rather than contracts, in the right panel.

Paper is open access: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-08997-2/
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Very interesting. I remember Jack Horner arguing back in the 90s' that dinosaurs were already on the verge of extinction before the asteroid hit. Looks like yet another one of his hypotheses has been shot down—although was he the one who originally proposed it?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I thought that Titanosaurs in North America were on the decline, but that's about it. That's why is was such a devastating blow, it wasn't fininshing off a dying line, but wiped out most lines of a very successful group. (Well, more than one of course, of course with pterosaurs, plesiosaurs etc...) I'd heard the Horner theory before, it's one of those things people on the internet take as fact for some reason?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Tyto_Theropod

Perhaps because it fits with the popular identification of 'dinosaur' with something ancient and invalid at best and unfit and maladapted at worst. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth when considering what was - and indeed still is - one of the most successful and diverse vertebrate groups on the planet. The K-Pg event was truly a tragedy, but on the other hand, had it not happened I would likely not be here typing this. It's a very poignant thought.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

stargatedalek

There is still the next question though, no they weren't on the verge of extinction, but had they become under-diversified as was also often suggested alongside that? Did this reliance on generalization end up being their downfall while both smaller and more specialized animals survived? Or perhaps that meant were they reliant on extremely large populations to survive?

Halichoeres

Like so many questions in paleontology, the answer might just be "sampling bias."
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

I think it is one of the great mysteries of the history of paleontology to know what was the cause of the disappearance of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals of his. No response from scientists I understand in my ignorance is enough to convince me. It is one of the great mysteries of science like so many others.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.