News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari/Carnegie Allosaurus clarification needed, please!

Started by bigbear, February 19, 2019, 05:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbear

Hi! I've just acquired a Safari Carnegie Allosaurus. It's the later sculpt in green, not grey. The raised writing under it's belly says copyright "Safari", but not "Carnegie". Did Safari re-release this after the Carnegie line ended, or was this standard on this or later models, please? It looks right from the photos I can find online, with paint job and pose. Any help you can offer will be welcome! Thanks. (Hope this is in the right place? If not, can you move it for me, please Administrators? thanks).

Pachyrhinosaurus

The Carnegie Allosaurus was only made for the Carnegie collection. I don't think the Carnegie would ever allow for Safari to sell it under their own brand. I checked some of the Carnegies I have out on display and the diplodocus doesn't mention Carnegie either.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Fembrogon

I double-checked my own Allosaurus figure, and sure enough, there is no "Carnegie" label - not even a date stamp.
The older sculpt had it; the Dilophosaurs and the Acrocanthosaurus and the old Spinosaurus had it. I don't know why the Allo (or the Diplo) didn't.
Edit: the Corythosaurus lacks the Carnegie label too.

Georassic

Both my grey 2007 Allosaurus and 2006 Diplodocus have Carnegie stamped before the genus name... i.e. "Carnegie Allosaurus" with the year and Safari's copyright below them.

But here's the crazy part regarding the Corythosaurus:
I have two Corythosaurus. One is undated and is labeled Safari on its belly. The other is dated 1991 and copyrighted "The Carnegie" with "Safari Ltd" below that.
While at first glance they look identical, there are nuanced differences to their paint schemes, particularly in the heads.
I would never have noticed if not for this thread.

stegosauria

Safari had two main dinosaur lines: the Carnegie Collection and Wild Safari line. The 2008 green Allosaurus belongs to the Wild Safari line.  I don't know which Diplodocus you're talking about but in the Carnegie Collection there were 2 of them (from around 1988 and from 2008) and the last Diplodocus was released after the Carnegie Collection ended in March of 2015. Since then Safari only has the Wild Safari line regarding dinosaurs or other prehistoric creatures.

Or you were talking about the green colour variant of the grey Carnegie Allosaurus? That's has light and middle green colours on it while the Wild Safari Allosaurus is dark green.

And Safari has one Carnegie and one Wild Safari version regarding Acrocanthosaurus and Dilophosaurus and of course a plenty of other species have one figure (or more) in both lines.

On the belly of my WS 2013 Acrocanthosaurus the label is Safari (don't know why not Wild Safari).

I hope that will help you.

Georassic

Quote from: stegosauria on February 19, 2019, 10:23:00 PM
Safari had two main dinosaur lines: the Carnegie Collection and Wild Safari line. The 2008 green Allosaurus belongs to the Wild Safari line.  I don't know which Diplodocus you're talking about but in the Carnegie Collection there were 2 of them (from around 1988 and from 2008) and the last Diplodocus was released after the Carnegie Collection ended in March of 2015. Since then Safari only has the Wild Safari line regarding dinosaurs or other prehistoric creatures.

Or you were talking about the green colour variant of the grey Carnegie Allosaurus? That's has light and middle green colours on it while the Wild Safari Allosaurus is dark green.

And Safari has one Carnegie and one Wild Safari version regarding Acrocanthosaurus and Dilophosaurus and of course a plenty of other species have one figure (or more) in both lines.

On the belly of my WS 2013 Acrocanthosaurus the label is Safari (don't know why not Wild Safari).

I hope that will help you.
My 2006 Diplodocus is the nearly 2-foot long figure that's primarily  green on its upper half and yellow-beige on the bottom.

stegosauria

By these features that have to be the Carnegie Diplodocus released in 2008 (the 2006 date on its belly must have been its designer or sculpting date).

You should check out dinotoyblog.com (I know these things mostly from there). There you can browse by group, by genus and by brand too. There is there pages for just Carnegies, for just Wild Safari figures and for all Safari figures (Carnegie, WS and all the other small lines from Safari).

Pachyrhinosaurus

I should have specified, the diplodocus I mentioned is the 1996 version of the original mold.
Save Dinoland USA!

Fembrogon

The second Carnegie sculpt, which recieved a gray/red repaint in 2007, is the subject in question, as I understood it. That's the one I checked for my own reference.

stegosauria

avatar_Pachyrhinosaurus @Pachyrhinosaurus Sorry unfortunately I don't know well the old Carnegie figures (in Hungary you can find just second or more hand Carnegies). And what is the difference between the original and the later version?

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon If bigbear's Allosaurus is really the green Carnegie one then why it's labelled as Safari instead of Carnegie? Sorry I don't know that too. It could be the factory's mistake or the figure is really a knockoff.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: stegosauria on February 20, 2019, 02:12:29 PM
avatar_Pachyrhinosaurus @Pachyrhinosaurus Sorry unfortunately I don't know well the old Carnegie figures (in Hungary you can find just second or more hand Carnegies). And what is the difference between the original and the later version?

The very first Carnegie mold had less defined details and was cast in gray plastic that was painted over in glossy paint. In 1996 the molds were updated with finer details and the dinosaurs were cast in different colors of plastic.
Save Dinoland USA!

Fembrogon

If bigbear's Allosaurus is really the green Carnegie one then why it's labelled as Safari instead of Carnegie? Sorry I don't know that too. It could be the factory's mistake or the figure is really a knockoff.
My Carnegie Allo still has the Safari ltd copyright; it just doesn't mention Carnegie for some reason.
Hang on, just let me snap some quick photos....

The figure (of mine) in question and its belly (is that legible? click on it for larger). B @bigbear, is this what your figure is?

bigbear

Quote from: Fembrogon on February 20, 2019, 02:11:31 AM

The second Carnegie sculpt, which recieved a gray/red repaint in 2007, is the subject in question, as I understood it. That's the one I checked for my own reference.
That's what I thought, but now I'm not so sure... I have the earlier, chunky Allosaurus from Carnegie and the last, grey version, but according to Wikipedia, (Yes, I know...), AND the Dinosaur Collector Site A, there is a green version of the grey one. After reading Stegosauria's comments on here, I did a bit more digging and found this: https://www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com/carnegie-allosaurs.html which seems to infer that the green later version is in fact a Safari model and only the GREY version is the later Carnegie. When you follow the link to the Safari version, it's nothing like the ones we are discussing! It looks to me as if it IS a Carnegie green Allosaurus that I have, but labelled Safari... Thanks for all the input here, I intend to go and lie down now...

SidB

Yes, the green one, labelled "Safari" is in fact the earlier version of the grey one, virtually identical, though a bit cruder in execution than the grey one. Both are versions of Carnegie/Safari #2. I have both. The chunkier one that you refer to is the first 1988/1989 original version #1. The dinosaur collector site shows two of this first version, with different paint jobs. There is an earlier greyish one, even earlier, but also belonging to version # 1, which that site doesn't show. This is quite rare, but still appears now and then on ebay or in used toy bins. It appeared with the earliest release of dinosaurs by Safari in conjunction with the Carnegie Museum. They were the first "museum quality" dinos that had bright (relatively) paint jobs, compared to the older Invicta, Marx, ROM that were unpainted.

bigbear

Yes, it seems that a few of the Carnegies had plain green/grey paint jobs in the beginning. I don't have any of these, but apart from the 'red' Velociraptor and late version Brachiosaurus, I think I've got all of the rest now! There seems to be various opinions on whether some of the dinos had more than one version, so there may still be some that I don't know about! Thanks for all the interest in my thread, guys!

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Fembrogon on February 21, 2019, 05:48:01 AM
If bigbear's Allosaurus is really the green Carnegie one then why it's labelled as Safari instead of Carnegie? Sorry I don't know that too. It could be the factory's mistake or the figure is really a knockoff.
My Carnegie Allo still has the Safari ltd copyright; it just doesn't mention Carnegie for some reason.
Hang on, just let me snap some quick photos....

The figure (of mine) in question and its belly (is that legible? click on it for larger). B @bigbear, is this what your figure is?

This seems to be a newer release of the 2nd Carnegie Allosaurus. You can tell because the underside is unpainted pale green plastic. I have the earlier version of this same figure but it's 100% painted and the underside is covered in darker green paint.

Some confusion in this thread seems to be people unfamiliar with just how many different Carnegie Allosauruses there were.

1. First Carnegie sculpt, blocky head, greenish gray paint job.
2. First Carnegie sculpt, blocky head, bright green and black paint job.
3. Second Carnegie sculpt, narrow head, bright green and black paint job.
4. Second Carnegie sculpt, narrow head, bright green and black paint job but with unpainted portions (underside). Note that all Carnegie figures before around 1995 were 100% covered in paint with gray plastic underneath. They later started using colored plastic and only painting part of the figure.
5. Second Carnegie sculpt, narrow head, gray and brown paint job.

I have numbers 2 and 3. 2 says "The Carnegie" and "Safari" on the bottom. 3 only says "Safari", but it was definitely part of the Carnegie Collection (came with the Carnegie tag, etc.).

I bought my Allosaurus #3 in the mid 90s so it's definitely not a re-release post-Carnegie. I'm not sure why it doesn't say Carnegie on it. Maybe no room on the new, smaller belly.

Thinking about this figure has got me nostalgic... I first saw it at an educational toy store here in NJ called Noodle Kidoodle. At first I thought it was supposed to be a new species, maybe the recently discovered Sinraptor, so I was excited to get it. I was a little disappointed it was a re-done version of a dinosaur I already had. I think it was the first time they did that. The store went out of business a few years later and I got a bunch of other Carnegie's on sale. They even sold me their display mountain for like $10!
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SidB

I'm frequently amazed at the number of official and especially "unofficial" Carnegie variants exist. I first noticed this with the original triceratops, of which I had thought that there were only three. I now have five and a look through the original DTF site as well as other sources indicates maybe 3 more. It seems that the situation prevails with other models too, more or less. It's good in a way, I suppose - perhaps I'll never get them all. One must travel hopefully.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.