News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The evolution of mammal forelimbs

Started by Logo7, March 25, 2019, 10:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logo7

A new study has been conducted by researchers from the Field Museum on the evolution of the extreme diversity of mammal forelimbs. The forelimbs of modern mammals are extremely diversified, from the wing of a bat to the flipper of a dolphin to the arm of a human. The new study looked at the forelimb bones of 73 species of pelycosaurs and therapsids in an attempt to determine when the morphology of mammal forelimbs diversified. The study found a far greater variation in therapsid limb morphology than in that of pelycosaurs, suggesting that the extreme diversification in morphology of mammal forelimbs evolved within the therapsids around 270 million years ago, pushing back the origin of this diversification by more than a hundred million years. Here is an image of some of the forelimb bones used in the study (the three on the left are pelycosaurs while the four on the right are therapsids) as well as a link to the paper published about the study.

Paper (open access!): https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/03/12/1802543116

Halichoeres

Glad to see this getting attention! The lead author is one of my good friends from grad school.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Logo7

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 25, 2019, 09:57:55 PM
Glad to see this getting attention! The lead author is one of my good friends from grad school.

Really? That's actually incredible!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Logo7 on March 26, 2019, 08:07:57 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 25, 2019, 09:57:55 PM

Really? That's actually incredible!

Yeah, we played on a softball team called the Cremasters  :))
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.