You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lingyuanosaurus, a new Chinese therizinosaur

Started by Logo7, March 25, 2019, 11:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logo7

A new genus of therizinosaur has been described from the Early Cretaceous of China. The new genus has been given the name Lingyuanosaurus sihedangensis ("Sihedang's Lingyuan lizard"), with the genus name originating from the city of Lingyuan and the species name originating from the town of Sihedang, both of which are near the locality where the type specimen was discovered. Here is an image of some of the fossils used to describe the new genus and a reconstruction of the genus by DeviantArt artist cisiopurple, as well as a link to the paper describing the new genus.

Paper (open access!): https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-41560-z

Halichoeres

About as fragmentary as the standard therizinosaur. Fingers crossed for a reasonably complete specimen of a derived therizinosaur.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Logo7

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 26, 2019, 01:04:53 PM
About as fragmentary as the standard therizinosaur. Fingers crossed for a reasonably complete specimen of a derived therizinosaur.

There's a decent amount more bones than I posted here, including some claws and ribs. However, the original post would be far too long if I did. I can add these images of the other bones to a reply if need be.

MoarCrossovers

Halichoeres

Quote from: Logo7 on March 26, 2019, 01:14:07 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 26, 2019, 01:04:53 PM

There's a decent amount more bones than I posted here, including some claws and ribs. However, the original post would be far too long if I did. I can add these images of the other bones to a reply if need be.

Oh sure, I clicked through to the paper. But it's still a fairly fragmentary specimen with no cranial material. It's valuable in other ways, but it doesn't offer a lot of new information about what therizinosaurs were like.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.