News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Cratopipa, a new frog genus

Started by Logo7, March 25, 2019, 08:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logo7

A new genus of pipimorph frog, close relatives of modern frogs in the genus Pipidae (the genus including Suriname toads), from the Early Cretaceous of Brazil has been described and given the name Cratopipa novaolindensis ("Nova Olinda Crato Pipa"). The genus name originates from the Crato Formation where the new genus was found and the family Pipidae, which consists of clawed frogs and Suriname toads, while the species name originates from Nova Olinda, CearĂ¡, the site where the fossil was discovered. This new genus suggests that pipimorph frogs spread between Africa and South America through an island chain or continental bridge across the Atlantic Ocean. Here is a reconstruction of the species by artist Deverson da Silva and the fossil specimen used to describe it, as well as a link to the paper describing the new genus.

Paper (abstract only): https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0895981118305285?via%3Dihub

Halichoeres

Wow, that's a great specimen. Thanks for sharing!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ravonium

Thanks for sharing. Now, I have to wonder: did the young of this genus emerge from eggs in the female's back?  ;)

Logo7

Quote from: Ravonium on March 28, 2019, 06:50:42 PM
Thanks for sharing. Now, I have to wonder: did the young of this genus emerge from eggs in the female's back?  ;)

I doubt it. The reconstruction looks more like a clawed frog, which is also in the family Pipidae, but it could still be more like a Suriname toad in this regard. We may never know.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Logo7 on March 29, 2019, 12:12:02 PM
Quote from: Ravonium on March 28, 2019, 06:50:42 PM

I doubt it. The reconstruction looks more like a clawed frog, which is also in the family Pipidae, but it could still be more like a Suriname toad in this regard. We may never know.

Ah, but a boy can dream, can't he? A boy can dream trypophobic nightmares.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.