You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO Hardcover series Vol.2 - Pterosaurs

Started by postsaurischian, December 09, 2018, 10:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

I bought this book because I love pterosaurs and the art of ZHAO Chuang. Of course I cannot read anything since the book
  is entirely written in Chinese. But it is filled with full page art and at least the species' names are written in Western letters.
  As far as I know there are three volumes in this series of art books: 1. Dinosaurs, 2. Pterosaurs & 3. Marine reptiles. I think
  about getting Vol.3 as well. Vol.1 I guess is largely presented in the translated version - Them: Age of Dinosaurs.
  I highly recommend this book to any fan of flying reptiles & paleoart.

;)   Click the pic (not the bar) to view the full image!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

v    All species in this book   v

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Shonisaurus

It is a pity that this great book does not come in English or in another language that we could understand. The illustrations are great. I would like Zhao Chuang or rather the Chinese publisher to commercialize it in other languages globally.

Unfortunately, only four privileged people who understand the Chinese language in Europe or America can understand this text.

ITdactyl

Oh wow, what a treat.  Thanks for sharing this avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian !

I do love the art style, particularly how the wing shape is not the same for all the species AND the translucent effect on the wings of some species. The Batracognathus and Carniadactylus are my favorites.

Not a fan of some of the awkward poses, but that's a very minor complaint.  This really seems to be a gem of a book.  I wish they'd consider producing a version in English.

ceratopsian

Thank you for taking the trouble to post these photos.  It's certainly beautiful artwork.  I can only agree with the others that an English version would be good.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 09, 2018, 11:30:11 PM
Unfortunately, only four privileged people who understand the Chinese language in Europe or America can understand this text.

Do you really believe that there are only four? Who are they ;D ?
  I think mastering a language is not a privilege, it's a matter of learning.

Quote from: ITdactyl on December 10, 2018, 05:10:26 AM
The Batracognathus and Carniadactylus are my favorites.

:) Funny! Mine as well. Together with the Sericipterus and Elanodactylus.

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 10, 2018, 08:24:46 AM
Thank you for taking the trouble to post these photos.  It's certainly beautiful artwork.  I can only agree with the others that an English version would be good.

It's my pleasure!
  I personally do not really need Yang Yang's prose for children. I stopped reading them after the second species in the English book.
  I'm all about that art ('bout that art, no writing).  [just got that bass pop song in my head]
  I see the book as one of ZHAO Chuang's portfolios. Being able to read the species' names and wingspan is enough for me in this case :) .

Here's part 2!

ceratopsian

That is a good point that the text is aimed at children. Hmmm. A purchase might be coming on..... 

Halichoeres

I almost bought this one at a very high price from eBay when it looked like PNSO was imploding. I'm glad I didn't but I'll definitely buy it now that it's available again.

Also, I would like to see every one of these as a figure.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

Shonisaurus

Zhao Chuang is one of my favorite paleoartists along with others from the guild whose list would be quite long. The figure of the pterosaurs is great. Thank you for sending these photos of this book. And it is a pity that it is intended for the little ones, but as I say there are children's books that even an adult can take advantage of and that have the same quality at least as adult readings. The children of today at a global level with the new advances in technology and new products, books, toys, educational and sports material are much more fortunate than the generations that have preceded them. I'm happy for them.

Going to the heart of the matter is a great work that is suitable for any age, although the text is scarce.

ITdactyl

Thanks for sharing part 2. MOAR!

'a bit disappointed with the art for Quetzacoatlus.  The art for Hatzegopteryx seems to be a better representation of the former (with its pre-2017 long neck).  That said, I'll still try to grab a copy of this book.

avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian , are the rest of the pages (save for those that you already shared) text heavy?

postsaurischian

Quote from: ITdactyl on December 11, 2018, 12:59:42 AM
avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian , are the rest of the pages (save for those that you already shared) text heavy?

avatar_postsaurischian @ITdactyl: No, the whole book is like the pages I've shown. There are 73 species in the book (see index, pic 5 & 6 first post).

ITdactyl

Ah, thanks for the info.  Since I'm really just after the art, getting a non-English edition won't be a concern then.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Wow, that's gorgeous! I'll have to consider getting that at some point!

ceratopsian

Ceratosaurus

I realize this version is all in Chinese but I came across something online from the London book fair and they had previews for each book in this series. The Pterosaur's previews were in English. Hopefully that means it's going to be released in English soon.

https://www.londonbookfair.co.uk/__novadocuments/551518?v=636845311100700000

https://www.londonbookfair.co.uk/en/Exhibitors/5615300/PNSO/Products/1511987/THEM-SERIES-A-Book-about-Lives-for-Children
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Ceratosaurus

According to a response I received from PNSO, this book will be published in English sometime this year but is not ready as of now.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.