You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Spinosaurus Wasn't Aquatic New Theory Suggests

Started by IrritatorRaji, August 17, 2018, 09:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

I believe the technical term is punting? Don't remember where I heard that. Turtles do it too to conserve energy.

It's also been suggested as a realistic option for Spinosaurus for some time now, I believe since the first images of the skeleton were leaked before the Ibrahim paper.

Lizerd

Talk about the stuff of nightmares, a punting spinosaurus. Hippos were scary enough...
Actually seems plausible that spinosaurus did bounce around.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Sucho-Matty-mus

Oh, I do believe Spinosaurs are aquatic. I got into a discussion with a group of people about wither or not Spinosaurs were quadrupedal, tripodal (yes, someones argument was they were tripodal as in tail draggers), or bipedal based upon the fossils currently discovered. My argument was that they did not swim like a crocodile, but rather 'ran' across the bottom of body of water like a Hippo. This would allow them to be able to catch some of the larger fish that probably dwelled at the bottom of lake / river. If they were in a large body of water, they would be able to paddled / lunge up to the surface for a quick breath of air. While on land they had 2 modes of movement. Slow movement they would belly walk similar to a loon. For fast movement, I believe they would have lifted themselves up and moved in similar fashion to a Pangolin, though only for a short while. These modes would allow it to have some mobility on land.

I mean, the skeletal structure that is accepted now, is not built for terrestrial hunting. If it was, it would have a similar build to Baryonyx, or Suchomimus

BlueKrono

They're gonna have to remake some toys...

Side note: I went to a talk that Nizar Ibrahim gave just a couple months ago. His story of how he rediscovered the Spino remains was fascinating.

Article:
https://royaltyrrellmuseum.wpcomstaging.com/2018/08/16/new-research-refutes-claims-that-spinosaurus-was-semi-aquatic/
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

BlueKrono

Ah, I'm a tad behind. Interesting to see the discussion though. Is there a way to delete or merge my post?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Ravonium

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 22, 2019, 07:18:56 AM
Ah, I'm a tad behind. Interesting to see the discussion though. Is there a way to delete or merge my post?

Report it to the mods/admin.

Shark Toothed Lizard

In my opinion, I do think it was at least partially aquatic. It was likely wider than described in this source. Plus, my theory is that Spinosaurus had a hump on its back rather than a sail, and also since it had quite dense bones, it sank. But it could possibly inhale air into its lungs to adjust and make it float. Basically the opposite on how Plesiosaurs swallow gastroliths to help it sink. Plus the thought that it was short legged but still bipedal, a lot of people still think it is quadrupedal. I know not many people might agree with me, but it's just my opinion. We just don't really know too much about our water doggo Spinosaurus.
See, your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

My DeviantArt: https://www.deviantart.com/diamondshark9

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.