You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Coelacanth from the Triassic of Switzerland

Started by Halichoeres, November 11, 2018, 09:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

People have been digging fossils out of the Meride Limestone in Switzerland for 160 years, but this is the first time anyone has turned up a coelacanth. It's a juvenile, so maybe coelacanths of this time and place preferred deeper waters as adults. The authors refer it to the hitherto-poorly-known genus Heptanema. Pretty nice fossil, even if a lot of the face and skull bones are cracked.

Open access: https://riviste.unimi.it/index.php/RIPS/article/view/10771/10121
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

Another coelacanth from nearby in NE Italy:

Scale bar 1 cm

This small specimen is too incomplete to identify confidently, but it shows that coelacanths were reasonably common around this time, although there still aren't a lot of remains from large individuals.

Paper (open access): https://riviste.unimi.it/index.php/RIPS/article/view/11552/10888
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.