You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World Evolution-PC/PS4/XBox One

Started by Shadowknight1, August 20, 2017, 09:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

I'm glad they are fixing some things, like the relentless killing on most carnivores and the chance to fight without killing each other in the herbivores when the population limits are exceeded, but I still wish there was some active attack animations like in jpog where the dinos strike each other while running. The dead duels need work themselves, less time spent standing awkwardly, and be quicker in general, they last longer then they need. I'm confident some of that might be fixed, also herding.

What I like most in JWE than Jpog is the guest. People have complained that there's no individuality in them, but I appreciate that at least it looks like they move around to see all the park. In jpog if you make a big park some areas get no visitor at all. They only move around entrances and amenities, maybe a bit further but not so much and since you can only make like 3 entrances it's not enough to cover all the terrain available . Also if you try to make paths between enclosures and connecting entrances, visitors get lost and die of exposure, visitors had died on me in a straight path between entrances  ::). That constrains park designs, at least for me, I don't like to see that nobody is seeing my dinos.

Fences are also better in JWE for me. You can get them closer to paths and buildings and look better than the jpog ones. The ability to make them curved is helpful too.

stargatedalek

Forget JPOG, I want to know why this game is a downgrade from Planet Coaster that it was literally built on top of. No more modular buildings, tiny weirdly shaped maps, etc.

JPOG still holds up very well despite its age and is well worth playing today. If you want to have interactive AI dinosaurs JPOG is where you should be. JPOG modding has seen some leaps and bounds the past year, so if you search around you can probably get graphics that while not amazing, should at least be passable for 2018.

​JPOG is a superior park builder, JWE is a superior management simulator, and they are both absolutely garbage at doing what the other does best.

If you want something middle ground you could try modding Zoo Tycoon 2 into an unrecognizable state, but it's going to be a beast to run.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on August 31, 2018, 02:07:21 PM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on August 31, 2018, 11:53:22 AM
Quote from: australovenator on August 31, 2018, 07:36:05 AM
I'm happy that they're updating the game for sure, but I really wish they'd address the Dinosaur AI. It's really not very good and it's sad that a game from over 10 years ago has MUCH better Dinosaur AI.
I can't agree.  Sure, the dinosaurs in JPOG had more varied behaviors, but sometimes they behaved in a way that is contrary to how a real animal would.  You cannot convince me that a Triceratops would gore a sleeping T. rex without provocation.

IDK man, musk can do some crazy things. It's better than the Triceratops walking 200 feet to awkwardly stand in front of the T. rex who never sleeps so they can engage in a "death duel" animation that ends in the Triceratops' death 99.99% of the time.

In my opinion both games falter in their AI for different reasons. In in JP:OG I recall path finding being really odd and comical. Panicked dinosaurs would run in circles around jeeps or predators, dinosaurs would take the lengthiest routes to gore another, and dinosaurs seemed perfectly content to line up perfectly with one another to engage in a really short death duel. That being said though, the herding mechanics worked really nicely in JP:OG, and I liked the herbivore AI for the most part.

JWE also stumbles in a few places. With JP:OG panic could spread in a large group, and I liked that. In JWE I have yet to see any of that. Countless times has a herbivore been fighting for its life and only metres away are its peers, munching on vegetation without a care in the world. Carnivore AI can also be really... weird at times... whenever my Velociraptors escape they have a tendency to just run though the crowds of people. Though, another thing I really dislike with the JWE AI is how at times the combat between dinosaurs always feels like it's turn based? Or sometimes one herbivore (usually Triceratops) just stands there in a defensive posture otherwise doing nothing until it's killed.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 31, 2018, 07:43:54 PM

​JPOG is a superior park builder, JWE is a superior management simulator, and they are both absolutely garbage at doing what the other does best.

The most accurate comparison between the two games that I've seen

MoarCrossovers

A new DLC campaign, Secrets of Dr. Wu, has been revealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDcsE_sKMLQ

Jose S.M.

There's also patch that improves the behavior, it includes sleeping and better social dynamics of the dinosaurs, they are going to attempt to move, eat, sleep and flee together, one of the members of the group can emerge as a dominant and the others will attempt to follow it and there's going to be dominance displays that can end with a leader change.

Faelrin

So the behavior has finally been improved? I wonder if the battles are still oddly turn based though? I guess giving it time was a good thing though. Might have to get it soon (since I've been holding off, partly because of collecting, partly because I found JPOG more my cup of tea with how the dinosaurs were handled at least).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Faelrin on November 09, 2018, 02:00:24 AM
So the behavior has finally been improved? I wonder if the battles are still oddly turn based though? I guess giving it time was a good thing though. Might have to get it soon (since I've been holding off, partly because of collecting, partly because I found JPOG more my cup of tea with how the dinosaurs were handled at least).

About fighting I only know that they reduced the times they spent between strikes. I haven't bought it because I was waiting to see how much it improved over time and I'm satisfied with the things they have implemented but the other main reason I haven't got it it's because I have a toaster of computer. Until I can get a better one I'm content with my modded jpog  :))

stargatedalek

Quote from: Faelrin on November 09, 2018, 02:00:24 AM
Behavior has not been improved (frankly these things barely even count as AI [by game standards]), rather more animations have been added to the roster of randomly selected canned animations.

Admittedly, after JPOG with its AI that can literally learn and plan in real time, even otherwise half decent AI would feel like a letdown, but JWE's seems particularly bad.

If they had enough canned animations and random variables it would still be completely passable, but these "enter combat mode, compare stats, ok done" interactions are just pathetic. And when all of the animations are canned it makes shared animations completely inexcusable.

Even JPOG, though it shared a lot of rigging skeletons, gave each creature individual animations to use with them.

Faelrin

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek Ah well thanks for informing me. Guess I'll keep sticking with JPOG for now (which can also be modded thankfully, which has also come a long way now. Don't know if this game can even be modded yet). Crazy how well JPOG holds up with this kind of thing, especially in terms of the animal AI. Granted this is really the only park building game I've played in recent years, so I can't compare it to Zoo Tycoon, etc, but the dinosaurs in JPOG have better interactions than creatures in other games I've played (such as Skyrim, which is probably comparing apples to oranges, but still).

avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M. I'm on an older system. Probably all the more reason for me to stick with (a modded) JPOG (although I do have a PS4). Shame the dinosaur combat is still turn based like Pokemon though. Honestly that was one of my largest gripes with it. I know I keep comparing JWE to JPOG, but, it's the only standard I have to go off of for what I want in this type of game. I enjoy having dinosaur free for all battles in JPOG from time to time. I really don't like this turn based system I've seen in JWE. I wouldn't have a problem with this kind of system, if this was like handheld or phone game, but it just isn't.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MoarCrossovers

Syndicate Bias

I've seen the ratings on the dlc very low and saw the majority came from people who have zero multitasking skills or put simply think one ranger station or ACU is enough to cure 80 dinos on Nublar and cant seem to comprehend the new greenhouse and time managament.

Sad really, its a very good dlc and its ratings are brought down by very dumb mistakes people do.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on July 06, 2019, 03:33:59 AM
I've seen the ratings on the dlc very low and saw the majority came from people who have zero multitasking skills or put simply think one ranger station or ACU is enough to cure 80 dinos on Nublar and cant seem to comprehend the new greenhouse and time managament.

Sad really, its a very good dlc and its ratings are brought down by very dumb mistakes people do.

Yeah, you legit have to put more effort into that mission than just using one ranger station. I made multiple stations on my first attempt and assigned their teams to one of three sectors of the island to heal the dinosaurs. On future attempts I'm thinking I might try to contain them first and try for the achievement of doing every cure manually.

I'd honestly say that this DLC plus the free update content has changed the game completely. There's so much more customisation for dinosaur pens than before, and it's actually superior to JPOG in that regard.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Jose S.M.

I don't have the game but I've seen videos about the update and the new terrain tools could be even better but still they make a huge difference when making enclosures. The individually placed trees and rocks allow to have some variety and complexity in the environment.

Mellow Stego

I really enjoy this game. It's not perfect by any means, but still very enjoyable. 
I will admit that it is disappointing to see the reactions that come with every update and download this game gets.
I see to many "where's this dinosaur?" or "when are you adding marine reptiles?" Rather than just enjoying what we have right now.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.